Dreamcatcher v3.02: Feedback Thread

@tylerhoot But the real performance is with a horrible frame lock you are still getting data transferred. maybe not at optimum bit rate… but it is working. I think I am being reported as the bubble near toledo

i havent seen much data missing yet i have some news from today but cant tell if im missing any

A sort of universal horn extender?

1 Like

that is what im thinking most cases it looks not to need much but could benefit to help to bring the SNR to a more better level and then that might help migate the random frame lock drop that is the source of most of my issue is the frame lock drop

Here’s another idea - - an 8 inch length of aluminum drain down spout. Surely it would be waterproof, and light. Ken

1 Like

i was also thinking some one can make a better Antenna Mount for wall mounting so there would be less fuss with trying to aim it and getting it to stay put. My Antenna lives mounted out side of my bedroom window so its in a weird spot

1 Like

my latest idea is an outdoor wall flood lamp holder … has mounting hardware and
some have an aluminum ~ 8 inch cone/protector designed for a flood light.
add a short rg 174 jumper or drill a little hole… and some expanding foam insulation…

1 Like

Also there’s sometimes confusion between magnetic and true bearings (declination).

–Konrad, WA4OSH

I just bought a $3.00 martini shaker. I hope it’s the right shape.

Screenshot from 2018-03-30 13-22-00

–Konrad, WA4OSH

2 Likes

Our Mnemonic device: (google it)

Can Dead Men Vote Twice At Elections

I know our friends in Chicago would relate to that one.

1 Like

My current experiment relates to an old used MotoSat dish unit, I was able to build a small control box that sends DC to the motors (very simple, with two reversing switches mounted in a little box). This is an 18-inch dish, but look at the stats.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard of CDMVT before, so I did some research. This is slightly new to me because I’ve not done navigation on a ship, only while hiking where there is no ship.

All information on a chart, including your own plotting, is related to TRUE North. Thus all bearings on a chart are related to TRUE NORTH.

Compasses point to MAGNETIC NORTH, which varies from True North by an error called VARIATION. Compasses also are subject to their own errors; this is called DEVIATION.

COMPASS BEARING = TRUE BEARING +/- MAGNETIC VARIATION +/- COMPASS DEVIATION

Can dead men vote twice at elections - CDMVTE The mnemonic device helps you remember the steps to correct a magnetic compass to true OR a true compass to magnetic.

So if you start with a compass reading, you convert it to a magnetic reading by adjusting for the error in the compass. Then, you convert to the true reading by adjusting for the variation.

If you are going from a chart to a compass, the steps are taken in the reverse order.

References:

Thanks!
–Konrad, WA4OSH

Jerry - - try putting a couple hundred feet of RG6 between your LNB and the Dreamcatcher. I’ll bet it works - - you are getting great SNRs and lots of signal with an Rssi of - 76 dBm. You can afford the signal loss so long as the SNR stays protected. Ken

X=Current heavy wet snow showing a drop of 2.5 to 3 dB from several hours ago when it was not snowing. No noticeable change in bit rate.

Jim - - this is a great idea. If you set the LNB way down the neck of the light fixture, you should achieve a good degree of shielding/focusing. Then the unit can be sealed up as you suggest, aimed, and mounted outside in the weather. I believe you should be able to run a fairly long cable from the LNB to your Dreamcatcher board. Ken

I have no doubt that it can be done, as you have credible proof of that already. According to all the specifications I have read, the DC loop resistance for RG-6Q is only 121 ohms per Km, so theoretically, there should be no problem using 500 feet.

Measured loaded voltage at SMA output is 14.1 vdc. Measured voltage down stream at output of motor drive connection to LNB is 12.86 vdc. Ken

Your actual matches the theory (pretty close) RG 6 usually has a solid cu 18 awg center
with predicted resistance of 6.6 ohm per 1k ft… or if you type into one of the handy online
calculators: I used the max rated load of 135mA from the Maverick data sheet:

the shield return “ground” has about half the loss. I guess you should add them together.

(your quad lnb may draw more current)

I was thinking about this and what about reusing a dish inline power injection for one of there attenna that provides the power to the lnb

The LNB’s have pretty closly the same specs, and I did put the Maverick on the end of the line confirming the same LNB input voltage. I did not swap out the LNB on the dish which might become a pointing nightmare if I screw something up… Ken