Hotfix firmware 2.4.000 for Lighthouse and ORx

Late announcement for another hotfix. This hotfix addresses an issue with USB sticks that have no partitions (but otherwise work). Such partitionless USB sticks seem to be quite common when it comes to larger capacity sticks (e.g., 64GB+).

Lighthouse devices should get updated OTA as usual. Images can be obtained from the following locations:

1 Like

This seems like a good place to report excellent reception on Galaxy 19 during the East Coast US blizzard on 23 Jan 2016 1915 UTC:

2.1.000 works perfectly for me, but neither 2.3 or 2.4 work. What Iā€™m seeing is that every file that comes in immediately shows 100%, and nothing ever gets written to disk. I suspect whatā€™s happening is that the code that checks to see if something is already present is always returning ā€œtrueā€.

Iā€™m using a Rasperry Pi 2 with an HD Star version 3, connected to a North American PLL LNB.

Any idea what might be happening, or a possible fix?

This is not an emergency, because as I said 2.1 works perfectly, but I assume there will be new features that Iā€™ll want to upgrade for at some point.

Thanks.

There could be two issues.

1. full storage
  2. missing cache directory or some problem with the contents of the cache directory

You can check the storage in the dashboard.

To check the cache directory, you will need to access the receiver using SSH. Check if /mnt/data/cache exists. If it doesnā€™t, then create it. If it does, then try to empty it with sudo rm -f /mnt/data/cache/*. Then restart the receiver and see if it works.

Thought Iā€™d try this command on my Lighthouse and got permission denied at top and root level:

Am I doing something wrong? Ken

Yeah, you canā€™t type just the name. To check whether it exists you say:

ls /some/path

If it outputs /some/path as a result, then it exists. If it doesnā€™t output anything, then it doesnā€™t. Please be careful about typos when you do this, though.

OH like this:

Ken

Yeah. Tho I think I shouldā€™ve included the -d switch since /mnt/data/cache is a directory:

ls -d /mnt/data/cache

This makes ls list only directories, and not its contents.

Thanks. I definitely have plenty of storage. Itā€™s a newly imaged 32 GB flash card. I have seen some instances of /var/log filling up because of logging Twitter activity, but with 2.3 the issue with not writing occurs way before /var/log fills up.

Iā€™ll try 2.4.000 again this evening and make sure the cache directory is working properly.

Thanks.

Have you checked if the files that do not get written donā€™t already exist on the storage? Files that are already downloaded are skipped, and thatā€™s normal.

EDIT: FYI, the skipping applies to files that were already downloaded at any time, even if itā€™s to an external storage that was subsequently removed, and so on.

I just updated my ORxPi to v2.4.000 by replacing the zImage file. Now it is showing lower signal level (54). But previously it was 90.

Iā€™m reporting on ABS-2.

To be honest, 90 sounds a bit too high. I never get over 70, and usually closer to 50.

After clearing the line of sight I got 90 for signal level with previous ORxPi version 2.3.xxx. Unfortunately I donā€™t have a screen capture. Believe me. :smile:

Ok, in that case, maybe you should clear some more. :smile:

Have you checked if the files that do not get written donā€™t already
exist on the storage? Files that are already downloaded are skipped, and
thatā€™s normal.

They definitely donā€™t exist in /mnt/data/download, because when I have the issue that directory is completely empty. But they could be getting written in some intermediate location; Iā€™m not sure about that.

I donā€™t have external storage attached at this time. I am planning to attach some if the 32 GB ever fills up, but havenā€™t reached that point yet.

After clearing the line of sight I got 90 for signal level with previous
ORxPi version 2.3.xxx. Unfortunately I donā€™t have a screen capture.
Believe me.

I normally get about 82, except when there is snow on the dish, then it drops to about 70. My quality is normally about 0.52.

If appears that you NEVER have snow on your dish.

1 Like

Have you tried clearing the cache?

I lost the ā€œbubbleā€ - - how do I clear the cache? Ken

Cache consists of two things:

1. partially downloaded files
  2. the index of already downloaded files (zindex)

Both these things are located inside /mnt/data/cache. If this directory is missing, ONDD will do ā€˜dryā€™ download, without writing anything to disk, and it will always show the file as already completed. If the file is already downloaded for real, it will have an entry into the zindex file and will appear as already completed in the settings panel (it will always be at 100%).

Clearing the cache is done by removing either only /mnt/data/cache/zindex or complete contents of the /mnt/data/cache directory. So one of the following commands should work:

# remove just index:
sudo rm -f /mnt/data/cache/zindex

# or remove complete cache:
sudo rm -f /mnt/data/cache/*