We’re pleased to announce a new release of Lighthouse and ORx firmware. The 2.6 release brings the following changes:
- Content usage analytics (turned on by default, can be turned off through the new Settings section on the Settings page)
- Ability to change the default interface language after setup wizard has completed, through the new Settings section on the Settings page
- Fixes to free space calculation
- ONDD fixes for handling some of the newer USB storage devices
- FSAL fixes
- (Lighthouse only) Ability to permanently change shell user password
- (ORx only) New and improved image format
- User interface facelift
Content usage analytics
Content usage analytics reports on the files that you access and the method you used to access them. To keep things completely transparent, each event that is recorded is also logged in the application logs. You can also turn the feature off by using the “Send reports” checkbox in on the Settings page (see next heading for details).
The new Settings section
The new Settings section on the Settings page (sorry about the ‘creative’ naming) gives you access to two new configuration options:
- Analytics on/off toggle
- Default interface language
Setting the shell user password (Lighthouse)
Before this release Lighthouse users did not have the ability to permanently change the password for the ‘outernet’ user that is used for SSH. This presented a slight security problem for boxes that are exposed on the Internet. As of this release, the password can be permanently changed using the
New image format for ORx
The ORx images no longer need to be written to SD cards using specialized software. From 2.6 onwards, you will simply unpack the zip file containing the system files, and put them on a blank SD card.
After using the receiver for a while, you will also be able to access the downloaded files using the DOWNLOADS folder on the card that is created by the receiver software.
User interface facelift
We’ve introduced some cosmetic changes to the interface to modernize the looks a little.
- Raspberry Pi 1: https://archive.outernet.is/images/ORxPi/2.6/
- Raspberry Pi 2: https://archive.outernet.is/images/ORxPi2/2.6/
- Lighthouse: https://archive.outernet.is/images/Lighthouse/2.6/
Lighthouses can also be updated OTA.