LoRa APRS

Hello everyone,

APRS over LoRa is becoming a thing, real thing that people actually use - at least here in central Europe it grows maybe faster than the traditional APRS.

I wonder - could Dreamcatcher be used to send/receive APRS messages via LoRa? Maybe with some modifications to the chat application? Did anyone already tried anything like that?

Thans, Martin OK1ZXS

The dreamcatcher set up can receive the other net signal but its not a 2 way communication with the satellite.

@logout Could you provide more details to what you have in mind? What point I should make is that the flavor of LoRa on the Dreamcatcher is a bit different than what is used for standard, terrestrial networks. We use the SX1280/81 in the Dreamcatcher, which has different channel bandwidth than the SX127x/6x/LR1110.

Quite everything about APRS over LoRa can be found on these two sites:

Some parts of both websites are in german, but most of it is in English. The frequency used is 433,775 MHz - I don’t understand the principles of LoRa itself enough to comment on whether Dreamcatcher could be used. But last year I briefly heard about it and now there are several iGates supporting LoRa in my neighborhood and even cheap trackers (~35 USD) available in local HAM shops…

So Dreamcatcher immediately popped up in my mind…

The LoRa APRS over LEO satellites project started in Austria. APRS had been broadcast over Dreamcatcher for a long time.

It looks like in Europe, they were standardizing on 433.775 and 433.900 MHz

@Konrad_Roeder I recently came across your posts on QRZ regarding LoRa APRS. Do you have any thoughts on how we can more closely integrate the Othernet broadcast with LoRa APRS? Of course, we already relay messages with the OUTNET or OTHER tags. Would it be beneficial to relay specially tagged messages in real-time? This could allow for APRS to have an ACK.

@logout We can release code that will allow a Dreamcatcher to be used as a transmitter. Do you think it would be useful? We should also be able to make Dreamcatchers iGates, but they can’t receive the Othernet broadcast and terrestrial APRS messages simultaneously.

Hi, found a huge 65 mb of data in my “aprs” folder…my othernet dreamcatcher cannot load all the aprs messages… consider the "news "folder is about 13 mb right now.
An aprs messages bombing…dont know if you change the filter to relay the aprs on othernet …a lot of data for the satellite stream ! aprs is usefull also couse of the minimum data use to show a positions.
Nice open the lora aprs on sat…
tnx alberto

Yes, lots more APRS messages are in the feed now. We’ll be including FT8 pretty soon. The goal for this year is to focus on relaying ham radio messages.

I think it is disgusting that ham operatror radio operators take away the lora band from others. You have so much of your own and you litter the band for ordinary people who don’t have licenses.

You should not install aprs a meshtastic or possibly reticullum

Actually, nobody is doing that. Radioamateurs have their own frequency for LoRa APRS and are not using any unlicensed band, as mentioned several posts ago. So this was a completely unnecessary hate post.

1 Like

I think that it would be very useful! Both as a iGate and as a transmitter (which would need some GPS connection, but that can be managed).