New Starts in Two Way Internet

I’m sure we have all been watching new starts in 2 Way World-Wide Internet (send and receive) from satellites from One Web (https://www.oneweb.world/), Star Link (https://www.starlink.com/), and Amazon’s Project Kuiper (Project Kuiper | Amazon.jobs).

But, as I see it - - there will be a significant cost in subscribing to those services. The information starved world can’t afford it. So I ask you Forum members to comment on this.

Conceivably, these services could offer Othernet an affordable 1 way broadcast option. Ken

I don’t know how those systems will work, but I am wondering if for the Othernet service every satellite in the constellation would have to constantly broadcast the stream. Because otherwise each receiver had to send a request and therefore a 2-way communication and probably a subscription would be needed. But with a need for constant use of each satellite, would it still be affordable for Othernet?

I don’t know that answer. It is still something to consider. Ken

Just imagine if Othernet could use a one-way service at a reasonable cost (to Othernet) to reach the people (who would get Othernet for free) who can’t afford a higher priced product for the 2 - way product. Ken.

I think the key to keeping users interested the ‘one-way only’ content is to make sure it is new and different at every log-in. The same old thing will drive everyone away.

Earlier discussions were on a pseudo two way using a time delayed request on demand, something a like snail or email. or sms internet link to ask for a new wiki article or a new lecture or new set of sports scores.

2 Likes

Prior to our L-band system over Inmsarsat, I had run down the viability of a broadcasting from non-geostationary/LEO satellites. We can say that our current service is not cheap to maintain or grow, but doing something similar on a LEO system is order of magnitude more expensive. Tens of millions of dollars for comparable service levels. One reason is due to the fact that broadcast is not an ideal delivery platform from a transmitter that is constantly in motion, even the collective of transmitters provide global coverage.

Of course, I was discussing much, much slower bitrates than what will likely be available from the new generation of LEO internet satellites. At those speeds, they could send out a high-speed blast of data for short periods of time and the content delivered would be substantial.

One thing we don’t know anything about is the requirements for reception. I don’t believe they are using anything standard, which might make receivers expensive. Maybe not, I just don’t know. In any case, I will be sure to be in touch with them once those systems have entered commercial operations. But I don’t think those discussions will take place for at least another few years.

4 Likes

Maybe somewhat related…
There are servers that will find the text of any website and display it on request via email.
Saildocs has a free service to sailors.
Send an email to query at saildocs dott com
Subject - Anything.
Body - send URL
Where URL is something like www.cnn.com
Or www.chicagotribune.com
Wait a few minutes.
Get your text on the next downlink.

Try this on the Internet.
send - will give you all the commands.

1 Like

LEO sucks, unless it is a big overlapping galaxy like Iridium expect a few minutes of connectivity once or twice a day; then there is aiming an antenna, correcting Doppler, planning for the next overflight.
Honestly distributing with transmitters on commercial airliners would provide better service with more minutes of signal/day in most places and probably be cheaper once deployed.
That said working LEO amateur radio sats and the ISS/Soyuz/Shuttle was fun in a sporting sense.