OUTERNET + Hardware | Access in MidEast

Good day!

I’m combing through the forums and having a little trouble knowing exactly where I can purchase the latest version of Dreamcatcher, and IF it is available i wanted to know if shipping is possible to a military APO as I will be deploying shortly to the mid-east.
Which, brings me to my next question, is Outernet service currently available in the mid-east?

I was running Outernet on a RaspberryPi earlier last year but haven’t used in months now.

I love this project and would love to be able to have Outernet service during deployment as I will have limited internet access.

Thank you so much everyone that has so far contributed, and hoping I can do the same!

-Marcel

It’s available only in US, lower 48 for now. I don’t know about what plans @Syed has for the middle east.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

@MarcelM Your is exactly the type of situation we are trying to solve for (information access when then is no internet), but we don’t yet have coverage in MENA. If you are able to share, why don’t you have internet access on the base?

2 Likes

There may be times where access is limited or we are in transit where there would not either be cellular service or WiFi. I love what you all do, I’ll be staying in touch during my journeys.

2 Likes

Good day everyone!

So I DO have internet where I am now (fortunately), and actually ordered and received the DCv3.03 just to play with and tinker with. I have a few comms projects I’m playing with out here in my free time, so thank you again for the great product for us! Excited to see what we can mash together. I am with a group of pretty intelligent folks, and I definitly sparked their interest with Outernet (ahem, Othernet… now).
We’ve whipping up a 3D printed case and trying to package everything together with some other devices in a weatherproof case. I will keep you all in the loop with how the project comes along, looking forward to testing the LoRA portion of the DC3 too.

Cheers!
-Marcel

1 Like

Marcel
For one of by DC3’s I bought a weatherproof case at Harbor Freight for $15.00. Using standoffs, I mounted the board to an aluminum plate with a hole in it for the display. I brought several of the key connections to that face plate - RF connections and USB for power. I mounted a rechargeable lithium battery pack inside so that it can run without mains power for a bit.

Both the Skylark and the Chat applications use LoRa. But I knew what you mean. I have experimented with LoRa on 1.24-1.3 GHz in the Ham band. There’s just no one in Seattle to communicate with, except for my “base station” and then there are far too many trees for any significant distance.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

Hi @MarcelM, you might want to check this thread @Tysonpower made a very nice 3D printed enclosure there:

Zoltan

2 Likes

@zoltan
@Tysonpower
@MarcelM
Has this unit been updated to fit the version 3.03 (slightly different holes/mountings)?

1 Like

mmm…what is the difference exactly? YOu also don’t need all screws to hold it, but i can update it with needed in the next days.

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

@Tysonpower
Manuel, I can’t quote exact specifications, but I know from adapting commercially made outdoor boxes to both units that the mounting holes are not the same between v. 3.02Q and 3.03. I am not quite sure on the other openings, but would warn a “new” person about the differences before they expend a lot of effort printing a case that might not work. You would need to purchase a v. 3.03 or contact the engineers (@zoltan) for the specifications/measurements of the board to be accurate.

@zoltan Please send me the files for the newest Dreamcatcher. The current Case is based on 3.01Q as far as i can figure out.

regards,
Manuel

Outernet has changed its name to Othernet due to a trademark issue. The SDRx and CHIP, and DreamCatcher 2.0x are obsolete now. Othernet has changed modulation type and to the Ku Band. The data rate is much better and the programming now includes audio programming. A lot of things have changed. Welcome back.

–Konrad