Outernet In A Box Display

Since the temporary demise of my Alpha Lantern, I have had to turn my attention to my Outernet In A Box running on a Windows 10 platform to download files.

Previously, I had only used Outernet In A Box to verify the performance of LNAs and SDRs. I never took it the next step to see the contents of downloaded files. I naturally assumed they would display in some sort of a Librarian format, but never tried it. I come to discover they just download to your platform - - I was mistaken. :sweat:

Well not a problem, I used the UwAmp web server that came with my Rachel on a Stick to view the files:

and

Look familiar??

Why not make some slight modifications to the existing Librarian (which is the web server running on the Pis and CHIPs) to run on the Outernet In A Box host platforms just as it runs on the Pi3s and CHIPs, and make them available within the Outernet In A Box downloads for each host?

I think this would be easier than one of us reinventing the wheel with one of the numerous available web servers on the internet. Ken

Librarianā€™s biggest issue is that it requires a database (postgresql). That eats up a ton of system resources on a single core ARM processor. Thatā€™s why Skylark is not much more than a file server.

Eventually Outernet in a Box will include a Skylark interface.

Hi Ken, I did it the other way round: Rachel (and some other useful stuff) are sitting on the stick and served by rxos:

Since I did not get the C.H.I.P running, all is powered by a PI3.

Wolfgang

I see what you did Wolfgang. You used the rxOS on the Pi3 to run Rachel from your Rachel Stick - - correct?

I use the Rachel Stickā€™s UwAmp web server to view my Outernet In A Box files that downloaded to my Windows 10 machine. From the Read Me Text File - - the files that should start showing up in C:\Outernet\cache (only hash names) and C:\Outernet\downloads (once they finish) can be read individually on my Windows 10 machine.

I was displaying the Outernet files in a ā€œLibrarian likeā€ fashion on my Windows 10 machine with Rachelā€™s web server program UwAmp.

Back to Syedā€™s point, I know about the data base issue on a single core ARM processor, but Iā€™m on a more powerful processor and terrabits of storage in the computer, so I donā€™t thats a problem.

Does what Iā€™m trying to do make sense? Ken

Right, we actively encourage experimentation like this, itā€™s just that we canā€™t support it. Tiny team and mile-long to-do listā€¦

OK - - thatā€™s good.

Iā€™ll see what I can come up beyond what I already have working. Ken

1 Like

Iā€™m implementing your idea as we speak for Skylark. Transferring the 32 GB Rachel USB files will take some time, but in the end, Iā€™ll be able to see them in Skylark along with Outernet downloads. Then - - one box with a world of information in it!!

Using the Outernetā€™s Skylark version in my CHIP wonā€™t create the same problems the CHIP had with its database under the rxOS program. I presume the Pi doesnā€™t have the same database problem the CHIP has. Ken

Sounds good, Ken. You are right, the Pi runs fine: http://Obereip.selfhost.de , if itĀ“s online. Sometimes the wifi to my router stops. I had to place the whole setup to a more remote place, where the L-Band-Antenna is able to see the Alphasat between to uphill houses nearby. From there it is connected via repeater to my main router. I guess, in summer i am going to setup a wired connection instead to have it more stable.
Concerning the software setup it seems to run quickly. Have a look at the music or audiobook section. This is a really beautiful implementation in the Librarian-Interface.
I wish, i could add a Wikipedia in Kiwix-style, but I have no idea, how this could be done. Also, the ebook-section coud be much more beautiful using a prepared static ā€œcalibreā€-library with the ā€œCOPSā€-interface.
Wolfgang
https://calibre-ebook.com/
https://calibre2opds.com/
http://www.kiwix.org/

Hello Wolfgang

Let me ask you what is your file structure under Rachel (on the USB stick you have plugged into your PPi) to get your first display. Hereā€™s what I have (which includes the Rachel Server - - but I donā€™t think you are using it):

Fist Level:

Second Level:
Third Level:

The above is what I put on my Outernet dedicated USB stick which I use in my Lantern plugged into my CHIP computer.

Thanks for help - - it is greatly appreciated. Ken

Hello Ken,
no problem:

1. The File structure of the running Outernet as seen by FTP:

Obviously, the Outernet-related directories have been created by the rxos on starting the first time after plugging in the stick. To be honest, I was surprised, that this works as neatly now :-))
  2. The first level on the stick, when it is connected to my local PC:
  3. The structure of the ā€œRachelā€-directory:

Hope that helps,

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and your family,

Wolfgang

Thank you Wolfgang

You ā€œbroke the codeā€. I didnā€™t think to ask which version of the Rachel 32GB USB or Rachel Pi you were using. But mine is the Nov 2014 32 GB USB version, so I had to make a short introductory html file to redirect my Outernet directory to the actual data modules. Its at the top of my Rachel directory:

and reads:

This may be helpful to other doing the same thing.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. :evergreen_tree:
Ken in Annapolis, Maryland

ā€¦ looks nice! BTW: I strongly believe that my Rachel-Stick was dated Nov2014.
Wolfgang