PCTV 461e vs Geniatech HDSTAR

Is there a recommendation as to which device is best? Would appreciate any input before buying.

There also seems to be concern on another thread that the 3rd gen HDSTAR does not work but the 2nd gen does. If ordering this is a crapshoot, then perhaps the 461e is the best?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I hear Geniatech has released drivers for HDstar 3rd gen, but I haven’t had time to try it yet. If you can wait, I can give it a try this weekend and let you know. Otherwise PCTV 461e has been working great for people I’ve heard from.

Any update on HD Star drivers . Thanks.

Sorry, I haven’t had any time to test it. I’ll update this post as soon as I do.

Thank you. I purchased an HD Star from the internet and as of this morning I am online and working great. Lots to learn. By the way all I did was boot the Raspberry Pi with the HD Star attached and everything worked. Thanks again. Now to learn how to surf it. Now I know why Norwegians drink coffee!

1 Like

Pure gold!

@darrell Can you tell me which version of HD Star you have? When did you buy it and where did you buy it from? If you unscrew it, then one of the chips should say either v2 or v3.

I’m guessing that you got your hands on a v2, which does work perfectly. It’s the v3 which we are having a hard time with.

I purchased it through AliExpress for $40.00 + $10.00 shipping. Inside the closest thing I could find that might be a version number was SU3000 V1.5

No confusion at all. I think you purchased some New Old Stock. The current version if v3.0, which is giving us driver problems. The only way that the manufacturer will offer driver support is through a volume purchase of the tuners–which we eventually need to do because they are non-existent in America (because we don’t use DVB-S here).