Receiving Outernet from the Internet (withouth L-band receiver equipment)

Hi all!

I have the following idea: to share the Outernet signal data through the Internet so that anyone can play with receiving the data and have a first-hand experience without the need to set-up dedicated L-band receiving hardware.

How this would work: the network has three componentes: the receiver, the server and the clients. The receiver is somebody who has already an L-band receiver and uses his equipment to upload all the received data in real-time to the server. Since the Outernet signal is around 2.1kbps, the bandwidth spent in uploading the data is minimal. The server receives the data and sends it back in real-time to all the clients. Again, it’s possible to support hundreds or thousands of clients on a single server due to the low bandwidth of the Outernet signal. The client receives the data stream in real-time from the server through the Internet instead of using an L-band receiver.

Before starting to program the software that is needed to do this, I would like to know whether there is enough interest in these sort of things.

3 Likes

@destevez - good idea. I’d participate. I’ve been writing a similar client/server type package with the intention of building a similar type of network but for monitoring QoS. See here. See the OuternetTelemetry portion which collects information on receive state of files, past received files, etc. We could pretty easily build on this.

1 Like

We definitely agree this needs to be done. It’s on the list, for sure.

I dont see why these information should be available in the internet since nearly all info from Outernet example Wikipedia and Weather infos are already in the internet.
I think Outernet should focus on low data size, important information such as STD-C EGC messages which are important for all navigator and sea travellers which are a lot. And i can tell u there are so many who will love to see those info from Outernet as the weather infos help also who fly.
In my opinion, it realy annoyin to spend a lot of time downloadin data on Outernet just to find that it is a Wikipedia article which can be found in a click using internet.
I fully support weather data, news, but not the APRSAT messages. Without amateur transimiter those messages are useless, ofcorse in my opinion.
Dont kill me though:slight_smile: this is just my opinion.

Well, the info you can see from an Outernet receiver, as is being received, is not yet available on Internet.
My installation is at my office, so I have to move there to check how is it working.

And about the content, I think the daliy or weekly bandwidth should be voted and then split, for instance:
30% cultural content (Wikipedia, Books, News)
30% APRSAT, STD-C EGC
40% weather data

In this way you can predict how much of the content you are interested on are you going to receive each week. =)

1 Like