Reception Report from Northern Vermont, USA

I have a clear line to the satellite from my location (Lat: 44.4 N, Long: 72.0 W).
SNR between -5.0 to -6.75 regardless of weather.
Lock: yes (uninterrupted)
Rssi: a steady -80

Consequently I’m getting a steady stream of data.

Previously, with the Outernet unit i received no data even though I had an acceptable signal report. So I’m very pleased with this new system.

Update: Jan 9, 2019
While I had no reception problems to date, it is now snowing very heavily and I’m not receiving any files or audio: SNR -17, Lock no, RSSI -81. This is after upgrading to Skylark 5.5, which I had hoped might improve my reception, but it is unchanged.

Looks like I’ll have to try adding a cone of some sort to the LNB to try to improve really bad weather reception.

2 Likes

are you using the LNB with a dish? What kind?

I’m just using the LNB by itself, no dish or cone made out of wire mesh or anything like that.

the SNR should be negative, in that case. Could you please double check?

Thank you for pointing out the error. I have corrected it in the original post.

hello billy,

im located a little bit to the east of you in moncton newbrunswick canada

i wanted to verify with you your configuration as i am thinking of trying to receive the outernet signal and also to purchase the sdr board.

you had mentioned that your inside the footprint enough that a horn or dish is not necessary.

how difficult was it for you to point your lnbf to receive the signal and or did you also look at how it appeared with a conventional sdr display.

best wishes

Kenny

Hello Kenny - - I operated very successfully last summer in Annapolis Royal, NS, with my portable terminal both with and without a cone over the LNB. You should have no trouble in NB. Ken

thanks for the fast reply and good feedback…

i had spoken with ses a number of years ago when i was living in newfoundland which is a bit further east on an island… as that is where i am from… I had a very good signal from ses2 over there as well… i had moved to newbrunswick a couple of years ago. i had also been tempted to try this outernet project as im also expierence with Lband items and inmarsat hardware.

this project takes another interesting direction with KU. even another one when one can say that a reflector is not necessary.

Knowing how powerful the ses satellite is back with another project… im definately considering picking up the sdrboard that is offered… as it is now on sale…

another question… does anyone have a standard sdr image of what the signal looks like and or can verify the frequency that is used on the downlink…