Time table for Outernet service to South East Asia / Philippines

Yes me from Metro Davao a sat hobbies also. Used to work for a VSAT company for 3 years. Now I run my own biz and reselling VSAT service for another company :slight_smile:

The Asiasat 5 feed is from Speed Cast I think :slight_smile:

http://www.lyngsat.com/AsiaSat-5.html

3680 V 30000

No, this is the correct one, 3960 H

https://wiki.outernet.is/wiki/Coverage_and_transponder_settings

You are right, my mistake :slight_smile:

1 Like

look angle :slight_smile:

My first outernet connection on lighthouse. . .

2 Likes

Well done Son1 .

I am very happy to see your success.

Do you know the priest Father Ned. He is originally from PangusSinan

George Bohol Talibon. (Jao Island.)

@Seasalt I will be in Cebu Dec. 28.

No I dont know Fr. Ned but I love to meet him if his involve in satellite or outernet. . . .

I would like to gather like minded individuals to promote the outernet in the Philippines. Let’s show them how information can change the information landscape. Lets try to fund this using the right folks no politics, and local NGO’s.

2 Likes

Absolutely count me in. I am very interested in Satellite reception. I am a licensed ammeter radio and I have some radio equipment.
I am also interested in use TV reception dongles as a Software defined Radio.

My last experiment was an attempt to decode L-Band Inmarsat transmissions.

I am currently living in Bohol and visiting Cebu City.

George

1 Like

Hi.

I would also like to contribute my knowledge on the Outernet. Im currently based in PH, and currently in the field of satellite communication.

BTW, does anyone knows when will Asiasat 5 will be online again?

The light being on is related to the number of receivers that are correctly pointed/receiving and connected to the internet. This is basically a community-generated status page. The teleports we use let us know if the signal is going up the satellites and then we ask our users to help us determine whether everything is being received properly. The only reason the green light is not showing for AS5 is because there are no receivers that are passing monitoring packets back to the status page.

Do you have a receiver and dish in PH?

I will turn on mine today and will give update here in manila using asiasat5 c-band.

I’m really interested about this, since the ISP here in the philippines are very slow. i don’t if i can use this for online gaming and heavy downloads

Outernet is one-way datacasting from satellite to the Outernet receiver. So you can’t use this for online gaming but you will get educational contents, Twitter tweets, music, videos and much more. Actually the Outernet receiver (ORx and Lighthouse) can download whatever contents available in the satellite data stream and store them in the internal or external storage. You will connect to the receiver through WiFi or LAN and browse the contents using the in-built file manager called Librarian.

can it play videos on youtube or other streaming sites?

No.

No. But we are broadcasting some videos picking from sites like Vimeo (i.e. TED Talks).

Great news sun1,

Just checked on http://status.outernet.is that there are no receivers hooked up on AsiaSat 5 C-band. Is your project still going?

Do you plan to share the Outernet Library with your community/school(s) in Quezon City, or in the provinces?

How much is Library school curricula aligned with requirements of NEAT/NSAT (elementary /secondary school tests)? I mean is the Library directly applicable, or teachers would not change or just not use it for some reasons?

best,
adamkk

Status only shows receivers that have Internet connections, for the record.