Universal 3D printable Case for the DIY Kit (SDRx)

That is just brilliant :slight_smile:

Well done Tysonpower.
That is one very cool Outernet Case.

Thanks for the praise :slight_smile:

@Tysonpower Do you have interest in adapting this for the new Dreamcatcher single board device? Maybe it would be relatively easy to change? Maybe just moving some mounting holes?

I would not say itā€™s easy, because of the ports on the Dreamcatcher, but possible.

I also was thinking to adapt the case to the Dreamcatcher, but i donā€™t have one and i am not planning to buy one.
My Setup with the CHIP works well, so the 99$ are just to much for me to spend without a need.

if i get my hands on one, or get at least a nice cat file from Outernet, i can adapt it.

regards from Germany,
Manuel

Fair enough. Thanks for your response. And your work on the current case. It looks great.

Thanks man. If i get a cad file from Outernet i can make another version of the case for the Dreamcatcher.

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

Really nice :slight_smile:

Is it designed to be an outdoor enclosure? In one view the fan vents appear to be on top?

I really like the Open Mesh outdoor enclosures: http://www.open-mesh.com/products/enclosures/outdoor-housing.html

Two parts clip together leaving some gaps at the bottom for air circulation and condensation drips.

Iā€™d much rather see a passively cooled solution if possible. Even if the copper sink costs a couple of dollars the power saving will be worth it in battery/ solar savings in my view.

The case is not watertight, but you could easily make it that.

Just donā€™t install a fan and sealup the vents and any other place where water could go in. Should be not that complicated :slight_smile: Would there be interest for a back without the Fan vents and mount?

I have not plugged in the fan and itā€™s running great, so you donā€™t necessarily need it. We had like 35Ā°C last week here in Germany. The Receiver sits indoors at my Window also in full sun until the afternoon.

The 30mm Fan I have, is only using 0,6w, so it will not save you much :wink:

regards,
Manuel

Thinking about it I wonder if it should be designed for passive ventilation/ sun protection?

Rough sketch below

I donā€™t think that would help that much, but some vents in the bottom would be more than enough.

In my Design the Hardware is protected against the sun by the Patch Antenna and the front of the case.
As mentioned before, i had no heat issues so far.

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

Nice oneā€¦when I look at that Outernet enclosure done by 1 individual at home I think of the amount of time you must of spent designing it getting all those measurements right then all the small adjustments here and there it could really become a ongoing constantly upgrading project with new printing materials and hardware upgrades keeping it up to dateā€¦
Enclosure looks good mate keep it upā€¦ the long hours and hard work u put in show in that final product.

Thank you for the nice words :blush:

Yeah it was quite some work and I will update the case, when I should get my hands on a Dreamcatcher in the near future as mentioned before.

I am using the Case since i printed it and it works great so far. The PETG realy holds up to heat and the Sun. We had up to 36Ā°C in the last weeks and it was standing in full Sun behind a window the whole time. There are also no heat issues with my chip, even without the fan running.

Hope you print one for yourself :wink:

regards,
Manuel