Weather impact on signal | Stations in use

Hi,

I have not found any information on the %sub% here, so perhaps someone who operates Othernet device could post here how local weather (rain/snow etc.) is impacting functionality of his device and what set-up does the user have.

We are all aware that for the devices to work ideal weather conditions are best, but how does the operation manifest in bad/not ideal weather conditions as this is where access to critical information is really crucial sometimes?

I’m running a DC3 as well as the new dc2206 prototype on a bare LNb for Months and so far it worked in all weather conditions, bad weather will of course degrade the signal a bit, but if you are not at the edge of minimum signal quality in good weather you should have enough headroom when it is snowing or raining etc.

1 Like

What sort of LNB’s are you using with the 2 boards? Placed inside (behind windows) or outside?
(How do you get the coax indoors?)

i always use the Bullseye LNB from othernet, indoor reception works if your window let’s trough RF well enough. ICurrently i have my LNB outside and use a simple window coax (a flat coax cable that can be put in and the window still closes).

Weather in Salt Lake City is currently rain/snow mix. I am receiving on a small moto-sat dish mounted on my patio cover, with a Bullseye LNB, connected to a DreamCatcher v.3.05 over 89 feet of RG-6Quad. You may observe operation at aeroute.ddns.net.

Jerry

1 Like

What size is small dish?
What signal do you get without the dish (just the LNB on it’s own)?

Big thanx for sharing access to this device :slight_smile:

• What’s New - shows the times that the “file” Wikipedia, News *.html" was received via the OtherNet network, or being unzipped onto the device?
    (Just trying to establish how up to date the data is and how long does it take to retrieve meaningful data/information).

• Log viewer doesn’t work in Guest mode :frowning:

• Radio doesn’t work :frowning:

• Tuner - Status shows some useful information :slight_smile: How big/in size are the files received?
    opaks/3b93-gfs.2022110400_gfs.t00z.pgrb2.1p00.f000.grib2.tbz2 … downloads:////opaks shows empty in File Manager :frowning:
    What happens if the transfer is disrupted half way down?

How much space is on the device to receive the data?
How long is the data stored on the device?
Can the data be transferred between devices offline, like in Cuba the so called packets transferred on HDD’s between PC’s? If I sort of missed out on something particular being broadcast and another Othernet device managed to receive it.

How about having 2 devices? Bonding?
Will they be downloading same content or can I choose to download specific content?

• Weather app, how do I find 7 day weather forecast for Timbuktu?

@Syed
@kenbarbi
@Tysonpower
Many questions. Not sure of some answers, so I also addressed others hoping they can contribute where I miss.
First, you may log in as othernet, PW is j7m*2
Second, the small dish is about 35 cm diameter. Bare LNB has not been measured on this device since I changed to the Bullseye, but would likely run in the -9 to -12 area.
Third, as you see the information presented, that is how it is received/processed by the DreamCatcher, with the exception of some files in the “downloads” which were uploaded from a computer to the DC.
Fourth, Radio has not been in use since a recent change, as Syed is working on the programming. However, it does work when there is audio available from the satellite.
Fifth, data such as news programs and APRS seem to store for about two weeks before being overwritten with new data. Weather information is a little behind, and I am not well-versed on all of that program. To find information on any particular place on earth, you can manipulate and click on the large globe, then select the specific data that is available.
The data can be transferred to the storage SD card, then the storage SD can be removed from the DC to carry the data to another device (manually).
As to disruption of a download, there is a certain repetition (I don’t know the time frames) before the data is replaced in the download sequence.
I have run two devices (on separate LNBs) while experimenting, neither affects the other. There is no choice for specific content (one-way, receive only). My unit is up 24/7, and I have had no problems other than when the feed to the satellite has difficulties.

I hope this helps, I am not up on some of the information you need, so if those items are important, please address them again, and we will forward them to others who may be able to assist.