Wireless access point

Before I run off and do something I can not recover from, when on page 17, step 3, where it says, “Step 3. Open the WiFi Client tab (Fig. 24), and fill in your Access Point Name and Password” are they referring to the router name and password I’d use, for example for all my wireless devices that connect to the wireless portion of my router? I have wireless cameras and my smartphone… but I use wired connections to all my PCs btw.

And wouldn’t it make sense to be able to reboot the Dreamcatcher and go to “default config” to get you back to at least a standard hotspot setup? That’s the only thing that makes sense to me rather than having to wipe the memory card 'cause that would cause me to throw things.

It must’a worked 'cause now I can see it on IPscan and can log in on my PC. Hallelujah!
But I had to go and manually reboot… the "apply and reboot button in the network tab didn’t cut the mustard. All’s well that ends well.
I noticed the SNR improves about 2.5 dB at night.

Yes, you are changing your DreamCatcher from being an access point to a client on your WiFi Network. It needs to know the SSID and password.

It changes the way your DreamCatcher operates. Whey you reboot it will go back into client mode. You wouldn’t want to reset everything after a power glitch, right?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

You are correct, Jeff. The name and password are those of your WiFi that all your wireless devices connect to. I’m revising the User Manual to include a discussion about what the Touch Screen options do to return to the Outernet Hotspot.

Here’s screen prints of some the changes - -

Ken

1 Like

I checked the board and sure enough it found its own IP address and is viewable on my PC. Hallelujah!

1 Like

and everything is working now…

1 Like

My tip is go in to your router and reserve the ip that it uses for the wifi adapter Mac address which is a unique identity for that one adapter. MAC address are basically like our finger print and they are unique and will never be another one with the same address or fingerprint if you are looking at it like your finger even if you buy another exact model of wifi adapter the Mac will be different. Basically this helps you by not having to chase down a outernet recever with a dyamic ip.

http://my.outernet.is

–Konrad

What are the parameters I need to know to get my home wifi router to translate the name “my.outernet.is” or make it readable. My current doesn’t seem to do (or allow) that… so before I purchase a “better”/replacement router. What should I shop for.
My goal would be to not have to chase down the dynamic (or static) ip assignment.

Second question… what happens if I put two DC’s on the local wifi network. does that confuse the “my.outernet.is”

“my.outernet.is” works in two situations:

1. Dreamcatcher is in AP mode and your client device is connected to this AP: Then entering my.outernet.is in the browser will take you to skylark. Two DCs of course will put out two APs so there is no confusion in this case.

2. Dreamcatcher is in STA mode and it has access to the internet: In this case, it will submit telemetry and a balloon will show up corresponding to your receiver on http://status.outernet.is. In this case as well entering “my.outernet.is” in a browser on the SAME LAN as the Dreamcatcher will take you to your Skylark. In case of more than one receiver, you will be shown a page listing the IPs of all reporting receivers on your LAN and you can click thru to whichever one you want to connect. Note that it takes a few minutes (~5) for the my.outernet.is service to recognize your receiver after it has booted into Skylark. There is no specific requirement from your router for this to work - just that the Dreamcatchers have internet access. To emphasize: if the DCs in STA mode are blocked from reporting telemetry (no internet access) then “my.outernet.is” will NOT work. It will also obviously not work from a different LAN than the one the DCs are on - for example, if the DCs are on your home wifi and you try to access them from your 4G connection.

All that aside, with the LCD now functioning, the IP of a Dreamcatcher in STA mode can simply be read off the first tab on the LCD.

2 Likes