AlphaSat 25E: Dead Server

Is it simply a matter of connecting the ethernet cable to the DRAC port? And then the IP is assigned to it by hitting F2 and configuring it?

Yes. And you do not even need a dedicated DRAC port, it can be shared with ether1.
(preferably ether1 would be on a VPN or at least behind a firewall, of course)

my feeling about that server when the HDD died i would of took it out of service and done some stress testing on it to make sure it was ready to go and you might of found the root cause of this before it decided to die on you poor guys on this worst possible day… IE (WEEKEND!) welp nothing we can do now but sit and wait and learn from our mistakes and move on.

1 Like

got my RX last week but can’t receive content. ok, groundstation server passed away.
Is someone working on this, and when could we expect content via AOR transponder?

The OS Should be installed Today as far as we know from @Syed.

I would except it will be online again in the next few day.

regards,
Manuel

Correct. The server is racked, now we need the teleport staff to assign an IP to it. I’ll be up late tonight to make sure I can give them a call when they get in.

they are in the Netherlands…so it’s 21:15 right now. When do they plan to work on the server :wink:

1 Like

07:15 tomorrow.

what time is that in GMT/UTC :slight_smile:

5:15 UTC - NL, DE time (UTC+2) 7:15 :slight_smile:

D’Oh I assumed he was saying 7.15 in the US … LOL

Well, it’s 11:50 CEST and still no frame lock :frowning:

Do anyone have a status update ?
For me, I still cannot get a frame lock.

Thanks.

Same here in Germany. No lock. No Packets.

regards,
Manuel

We are finally in the server. We have run a few test packets to ensure the lines are communicating. We should be fully operational in about eight hours.

Nice :slight_smile:

But eight HOURS…HOURS ?! That’s a lot of time for one Server. Do you need to install / configure everything manually?

I would suggest to make an img out of that Server after it is setup. You then can just use the img to setup the second server that is spare for backup in minutes :slight_smile:

Hoping for packets every minute xD

regards,
Manuel

Eight hours is verry fast for a zx81… Where are there days… 1983…

Well sometimes it requires time to do things. Please be patient.
When it was my server I would install VMware ESXi (free version) and use it to manage the hardware
and network, and install the server software under that. And probably a MikroTik CHR.
It is then quite easy to mirror the whole setup to the second server and to a backup disk.
There even exists (paid) software to do this automatically. The remote hands aren’t required as
often anymore, saving time especially with the timezone difference.
However, these things are easy when you do it all time time and require some time when doing it
irregularly. Getting experience with the iDRAC also requires time of course. However, those tools
are really lifesavers when managing remote servers.

1 Like

And…we’re back.

Thanks for your patience while we worked this out. And even more thanks for helping us get back up. We do have a redundant server at the facility now.

Apr 11 19:30:35 outernet user.notice root: Discovered /mnt/downloads/opaks/884d-news-pack.2017-04-11_0644.tbz2, extracting…
Apr 11 19:30:35 outernet user.info ondd[456]: [carousel] completed: opaks/884d-news-pack.2017-04-11_0644.tbz2
Apr 11 19:33:11 outernet user.notice root: Discovered /mnt/downloads/opaks/03b6-messages-2017-04-11_16_35.txt.tbz2, extracting…
Apr 11 19:33:11 outernet user.info ondd[456]: [carousel] completed: opaks/03b6-messages-2017-04-11_16_35.txt.tbz2