Bandwidth Reduction from 800 kHz to 200 kHz

For broadcasting a data carousel its not really important. The audio will be a victim to this im afaid.

MeteoTime does transmit a 4 day weather forecast with 14 bit per minute on a long wave AM frequency in Germany and Switzerland normally used for clock synchronizsation… there is a way if you want to :wink:

2 Likes

dcf77 on 77,5 KHz. The Data can be watched live here:
https://dcf77logs.de/live
The trick is that every location gets it’s weather data at a specific minute. The decoding Circuit and a license can be obtained for a decent price.
In Germany there are lots of places served with local weather, in Europe it is also available, but the locations are less dense. Clocks with built-in weather forecast are available for low prices here in Germany. The company behind is Meteotime.

2 Likes

Waiting for the new stream here in Toronto Canada :canada:

we have a group of hams that use the system.
Andre

Crazy. What do you do with it?

1 Like

Syed, not sure who/whom your question is directed at ?
A reply here may be off topic and not appropriate to title.

However, for us we hope to replace a Toronto GTA Ontario Canada “Mesh”. AREDN fundamentals, with all the integration using a self powered(solar) mat go-box config unit. price is a factor and functionality.

How does your user base commonly use the units ??

A.
.(possibility split topic : how use)

@VE3SP How is the Othernet broadcast replacing a terrestrial mesh network? How does it integrate into an AREDN network?

1 Like

Yes, this is for another topic. I’ll create that now. Please respond to that one instead.

1 Like

If the live radio is discontinued, would there be any l idea in replacing them with podcasts?

as I understood the radio was VOA ( Programs - Radio )

I am just pondering if the audio files could be downsampled and delivered, then the onboard computer could be set to either play on demand, or maybe just have a playlist on repeat cycling through the most recent episodes from each “podcast”

such a model could be an audio equivalent of the text news.

All options are open, as long as they fit within the available capacity. Generally speaking, file sizes should be limited to 10 kB. That’s an arbitrary value. The intent of a file size limit is to enable more users to upload their own files, as well as not jam up the queue with a long file that could get corrupted over a long playout period.

Codec2 does a decent job at really low bitrates. That might be worth looking into for downsampling. At 600 bits per second, a minute of audio is about 5 kB.

2 Likes

Has any testing at the lowerer 2.5k bitrate shown if is easier to get a ‘lock’ using just the bare lnbf ?
I figure the change in bitrate may also change the SF ???

This could make setup easier ???

SF ist the same (see first post) but it should be easier to receive i think because it has a lower bandwidth.

Actually, nothing is set in stone on the radio parameters. If we need to increase the spreading factor in order to improve SNR a bit, that is definitely an option. The server is in Europe with FedEx right now.

good to know that :slight_smile: Should be on target then for march 1st.

@Syed
So, is there a plan yet for the NA frequency and beam type?

Beam type, no. That will be determined after a bit of testing. Frequency should be provided by the end of the week. The server/modem is getting shipped to the teleport tomorrow.

3 Likes

Update: The modem was delivered to the first location in Europe. It’s getting tested and then will be sent to the teleport in Germany. I don’t think it will arrive at the teleport until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

By the way, the new beam is from Eutelsat 8WB-Europe Ku.

Good to know that, thx for the Update Syed. Any information on where the Teleport is located in Germany?

It uplinks from Munich.

The new US carrier will be brought up on Friday morning.