Dreamcatcher 3.03 locking up after upgrade to Skylark 5.7

I reluctantly upgraded my Dreamcatcher 3.03 from Skylark 5.5 to Skylark 5.7 last night. My configuration has been working without issues for months with 5.5 but 5.7 seems to be very buggy.

I can only login and access applications for short while before the board becomes unresponsive to http/ping/ssh requests under Skylark 5.7 . I have not been able to obtain a lock since the upgrade and hence no files or audio.

I have re-imaged 5.7 to another known working SD card, factor reset the board several times and ensured Maverick 1 was chosen fromTuner -> LNB page.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of Skylark 5.5 available for download? I would rather attempt going back to a known stable version of Skylark rather than scrap my v3.03 board and re-purchase a v3.05 board. Thanks in advance.

I also have a 3.03 running without any problems on 5.7, that is really strange.

What did you use to “burn” the sd card? Maybe try etcher, that is known to work fine.

Also redownloading the 5.7 image could be a solution, maybe the file is corrupted.

merry christmas and regards :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas to you. I used belenaEtcher on Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.2 to burn the SD cards this time and generally for every upgrade in the past though this time I also tried with Red Hat Linux Server 7.5 using simple DD. Both methods seem to work great.

I also re-dowloaded the 5.7 from the archive thinking there was some sort of corruption but that does not seem to be the case. The MD5 sums match too …

My setup has been working really well for months hardware wise so I believe there may be an issue with this release of Skylark for my board at least.

I should add that the board itself seems to stay alive as you can see status updates via the onboard screen though after running for hours it still cannot seem to obtain a lock.

After several hours without interruption and after the board becomes unavailable network wise it seems to sort itself out and becomes accessible again for a short time before going out to lunch again.

There was a mention in the upgrade instructions that a factory reset may be required of which I have completed a few times as well.

really really strange…maybe someone from othernet has an Idea. Good Luck!

Also, make sure you are using the latest copy of Skylark 5.7 from 30 October. Ken

1 Like

Appreciate the responses. I have been working with the 30 Oct 2019 version of 5.7 but have not had much luck with this version on my 3.03 board.

What is your Diagnostics reporting? It should look like this - -

Hey Ken. Here is what I captured just a few moments ago. Today I was able to locate 5.5 on an older computer I have used to write SD cards in the past. I am back on 5.5 and did some tweaks with the dish position that I have permanently setup just to see if it would make a difference.

Hum - - you should be locked and getting signals as I am below

with valid packets and a Bitrate around 20000 (in North America) or 10000 (in the EU). Since you are seeing a signal - - your Rssi is -80 dB - - I’m suspecting you are not quite looking at the satellite. If you had an open coax between the DC board and the LNB, you would not have a normal bias-T voltage. Try slewing around your pointing direction slowly to see if you get a lock. Ken

I swapped out the Maverick LNB for one I received with the DirectTV dish (LNB 18 @ 11402.1) and had success obtaining a lock again. I then switched to Skylark 5.7 and seem to be running well this evening here in Denver, CO.

3 Likes

It has been over a week since I was no longer able to obtain a lock with the Maverick LNB and when I replaced it with a DirectTV LNB 18 so I thought I would share. I have not had a single drop of Lock and have seen an SNR of +2.5 or higher consistently even through a recent heavy snowfall.

My setup is using items I picked up from eBay here:

There have been questions regarding the use of an existing DirectTV and circular LNB with Dreamcatcher so hopefully someone finds this information useful.

Operating with the Direct TV LNB18, did you select the Maverick LNB in the Tuner App and/or make any other changes? I ask because I have tried my Direct TV dish successfully with the Maverick LNB never thinking the LNB18 would work. Ken

I left the LNB tab unchanged from the original setting of Maverick 1 and changed the Custom tab Frequency field to 11.4021 and left the Beam Type at 228 and selected Apply. I have attached screenshots of the Tuner app and the respective tabs.

Note that someone in the forum mentioned using an LNB 18 @ 11.4024 and I am using 11.4021 as it seemed to bring the Frequency Offset numbers down from well over 100,000. I believe this is better but I welcome to being told different.

There are lnbf’s linear that mount right into the dish 18 arm. search for viewsat or pansat
example

then follow the maverick setup since they are LO 10.750

Note “skew” is achieved by rotating the whole assembly (usually not needed if you stick to circular)

Appreciate the information and link. :+1: I may pick one of these up and try it out at some point though with how well the circular LNB is working it may not be warranted.

Also, with my fixed dish setup there is no skew adjustment. I had used a generic LNB bracket and the Maverick in place of the original circular LNB which allowed for skew adjustment.

This great information I will include in future editions of the User’s Guide I produce for Othernet and for the Wiki.

I’ll try it as soon as I can get my old Direct TV gear out of storage. I wonder how it would work on the EU beam? Maybe @Tysonpower or @wsombeck can get hold of one and give a test. Ken

Well i don’t quite understand what is so special about using a different LNB then the Maverick.

I use a Random PLL LNB from Amazon for a while now and also tested different ones. All seem to work nicely. The only thing that needs to be changed is under the LNB tab where you need to select “Othernet Dual Band”. LO of the normal LNBs is 9.750 so no need for a custom frequency.

I did try a Kit from Ebay for 22€ including a 60cm Dish and a LNB. Even the included LNB alone was working great, with the 60cm Dish the Signal was really Strong (2-3db SNR).

So my Tip for anyone is to get just a cheap Dual band LNB from ebay or os for under 10€, then select Othernet Dual Band in the Dreamcatcher and you are done.

The one really nice thing about a circularly polarized LNB (if used with reflector) is not having to fool with skew adjustment.

1 Like

Agreed. Use of a circular LNB helps to simplify installation especially if you are already having troubles like obtaining a signal lock in the first place (as was my original issue).

Swapping in the Maverick for the circular LNB was quick and yielded performance near what I originally observed from the Maverick but without the headache of perfecting skew.