Your post has the answer… :slight_smile: Something like the Dreamcatcher that does what Outernet was intended to do, combined with an HF receiver that could pick up LW/MW/SW up to maybe 30mhz so it also includes the 10m band. Could accept a longwire antenna and be tuned through software and listened to through the headphone jack without interrupting the Outernet downloads. I’d buy that, learned a lot listening to shortwave and HAMs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, my post does have the answer - - but I was using the 50’s - 60’s HF radio as a metaphor.

This new Outernet device doesn’t need to do HF Short Wave - - just L band. It needs to be as popular as those venerable vintage radios were. Let’s not make Syed’s job too difficult. Ken

The SDR can be set to direct mode and should be able to monitor the HF bands, I am sure a simple interface could be implemented for tuning. But I am sure that would break the L-band link, so it would be download or radio. neat idea though.

Technology is moving so fast. I think it is OK for a technology project to Morph into something Else.

I think there is definitely room for a satellite receiver especially in disaster relief where absolutely every thing can be destroyed. It took the Philippines about 18 months to repair / replace the 150 to 200 mobile phone towers blown away by super cyclone Ulanda.

2 Likes

yeah that would be cool as i already have a few lcd raspi screens
ive noticed on the dreamcatcher board thers reference to lcd board connectors but i think their unpopulated .?
or maybe we just need to solder the lcd board to it.??

i seen that too…

Where were LCD connectors referenced?

Question is “What would be a really interesting radio product?” @kenbarbi, I’m OK that you might have a different opinion, but mine is that it would be cool to integrate an HF receiver that would not otherwise interrupt the normal operation of the L-Band reception and processing that happens today. I think it makes sense to include a SW receiver, if the point of the device is to provide information to people who might otherwise not get it, being that they’re remote, etc, why not provide more than one avenue to receive information? Plus all it would take from the user is finding a really long wire, doesn’t even add much of an extra burden to use that feature, were it to be added. If it were something similar to the KiwiSDR, you would provide the ability to listen via the browser up to a maximum number of users that could all ‘tune’ independently due to the radio’s ability to see a wide swath of the spectrum in question. Again, that’s just my opinion.

Another addon could be the ability to listen to NOAA-type weather broadcasts while still receiving the Outernet data, I’m just not sure if remote countries/areas even have that type of transmission already in existence.

Yes - - I see your point. I forget Outernet also needs a computer of some sort to render its content.

Naturally in my go kit besides my Outernet Lantern is my short wave radio with a deployable reel of wire. So yes it makes sense to include it that won’t slow production of a mass produces unit. Ken

What would be interesting? I showed the skylark interface to a couple of millennials (20 somethings and younger) and result was less then enthusiastic. In the “Whats New” the listing that expected you to point/click on was not stimulating enough… they want rapidly scrolling/flashing information. They had similar response to wiki listing. The weather app showed the “wind motion” and “rotating earth” that held the attention a little longer.

So “as a teaching tool”… I guess kids are accustomed to being “presented” with info rather then actively having to read/point/think/

For me… the dreamcatcher is doing something (getting free real-time news) to a worldwide that has never been available. So… don’t change something that removes this capabilities.

1 Like

Going back a few months, I pointed out the Titus II SDR that is still, for some reason, not generally available. It is (supposed to be) a wideband SDR receiver, by all specs seems to be equivalent to a SDRPlay or AirSpy, integrated into a case with a 7" Android tablet and speakers. The Idea is that the tablet can run typical Android SDR apps for all mode radio reception and digital radio text/data/audio mode decoding, such as RTTY, PSK, MFSK, JT65, DRM, etc. It could also easily run the Outernet decoder and have a webserver with hotspot capability. With the addition of a suitable L-band antenna, the device could receive Outernet, Fleetnet, Safetynet, and AERO. And, it can surf the web when a hotspot is available.

Does it have the ability to power an LNA? I will have to keep an eye on this. If it performs well i will buy one, especially if it has ATSC support, but i doubt it.

@k5ted, that Titus II looks slick. @demandzm, doesn’t say anything about a bias-tee and doesn’t ‘appear’ to support ATSC, but if the SDR they use can fit the ATSC signal in the available bandwidth, then software should be able to do it. If the SDR they use isn’t capable, no reason you couldn’t plug in an ATSC receiver in the USB-otg port and pull down some software for that dongle and use it, looks like its just Android. If you’re interested, the pre-order form doesn’t require payment, just a ‘feeler’ for public interest I guess.

ATSC appears to be 6Mhz wide so a normal rtl-sdr wouldnt work. Oh well i guess they werent advertising it as a portable tv anyway.:grinning:

that looks like it would be great product lol

If indeed it is equivalent to the SDRPlay, which it appears to be, at least in general specs, it might not need the LNA. My SDRPlay receives Outernet fine without it. There is little documentation as to the specific nature of the receiver, but the stated coverage implies it might be using the Mirics tuner. If it did happen to need the LNA, then yes, there is the OTG port that can provide the 5vdc needed. Keep in mind, this radio doesn’t appear to be designed for powering a LNA/Patch, but certainly could be outifitted with a bias tee. Not rocket science or expensive for the manufacturer.

The only thing what we need is… The Original outernet product. Jezus man… What are you doing? You have a good idea… Make thé original outernet idea!

1 Like

I guess I am not sure this is headed, and especially with a $49 price constraint.

Are you looking to develop a SDR that plugs into another device? ie: Pi3, other SOC PC, PC?

Or a DreamCatcher Lite?

Let me give you my POV. My Dreamcatcher is on its way for to play with. This next part is going to sound harsh, and its not meant that way. OuterNet data service is of very little interest to me. If my purchase of DC SDR’s funds that service for others, great! Its not for me. The board with the integrated SDR is the interesting thing for me.

What will I be using the DC SDR for? Standard SDR stuff for ADS-B. FIS-B, ACARS, POCSAG/Flex, AM Aviation, NBFM, and some other stuff if the programs work and the DC SDR can keep up. I am not sure the CPU will work with a couple of them, they do run on Pi3’s. We’ll see.

Depending on if all these work I have a plan for many more DCSDR’s.

I guess I would be looking to go in a direction, further up the chain. Or DCSDR V3.0, with:

1GB/s LAN ON BOARD, for what I do, I want wired. I use wireless for very little.
1GB RAM
Better SOC, Quad Core
Wider bandwidth on the SDR’s, than 2.4Mhz which is basically about 1MHz plus/minus the center. For my plans having about 10MHz would be ideal.

HDMI Video out to ease setup the A13 SoC has a Mali GPU or is this disabled or a different A13 that doesn’t have the Mali on board?

MULTIPLE SDR’s on board

More USB ports, possibly.

The SAW filter on the board, needs to change to make it work with NOAA GOES, especially with the newer GOES-R. For me, EMWIN is the important part, this is a basically a full feed of NWS data, I use it for various things. Many of the companies making EMWIN decoders have given up with the changes in EMWIN since its inception. Having a CHEAP source of getting this data is needed. This is a BPSK 400K signal.

Trying to compete in the race to the bottom on price of a decent SDR, I think is the wrong strategy to fund the Outernet data service. The cheapo dongles on Ebay, and even the better ones at $30 from a few places one in particular, I think have that covered. I really don’t know what you would do to make something better and meet the $49 goal.

Maybe if I had an idea on what type of device you are after DCSDR Lite or a sort of bit better SDR than the RTL-SDR.com V3 but less than the now $99 RSP1

I could give more input if I had at least some sort of direction you are headed.

Thanks.

1 Like

I agree Outernet needs to give more Output as to where it wants to be.

I believe it is a multi-MEDIA company, that uses satellite to get its message out.

The problem is Outernet thinks it needs to be a hardware design company.

Content is King. Right now you own this low data rate, Worldwide, Satellite Data-casting. What are your plans to stay number one.

Building hardware in this market appears to be a race to the discount bottom. Adding rich, Value-added content to what you transmit will lead to profitability.