New Frequency SES-2/North America 12.1032 GHz / beam type 164

With frequency set to the new specified 12.1032 GHz, I had SNR worse than -15 and was capturing only about 10% of the packets.

I have a DreamCather 3.03, and the Mk1 LNB with a small foiled cup on it. On the fringe in Vancouver BC. About 5 deg C outside.

After I changed the frequency setting to 12.1028 GHz (as shown by others in this forum), my reception is now very acceptable:

These are my results since just before noon on Tuesday. Like others, it took a couple of reboots and some fiddling around to get everything in order. Setup is DreamCatcher 3.03, Maverick MK1-PLL and the indoor-mounted 35 cm antenna recently offered by Syed. Beam type is 164.

I think it is important to mention that I have the LNB attached to a DirecTV phase III dish, normally get a signal between plus 6-7
Currently at 6.5 no adjustments to the dish from frequency and type change were needed.
My problem was getting it off of the ā€œAmericasā€ and on to ā€œcustomā€.

Havenā€™t noticed till now. Could be corrected.
Satellite Tab. Shows just numbers. Should show GHz after frequency. Status Tab. Should be changed to GHz from MHz. Or both tabs should should show the same.

News Tab. If I select the first news bureau, I see the first news story from that bureau. And I can continue to select stories from the same bureau. Now if I select another bureau, I donā€™t see it selected. I still see the story from the first bureau. If I select the story, it switches to the correct 2nd bureau. Not a big deal, but doesnā€™t follow general logic.

I am using a DirectTV Slimline dish and the Maverick-1 LNB
Skylark V5.7

Update - - here in Maryland, my Rssi levels rapidly fluctuate by over 60 dB. Nominal for my set up is between -95 to -105 dBm. Due to the rapid fluctuations, with complete drop outs of signal I never achieve LOCK. I have tried 3 Mavericks, 2 Dual Bands, and my trusty Quad polar INVACOM.

Looking at the Status page, it seems many are also in my boat. Ken

1 Like

Ken,
I got the Maverick-1 to work again, but Rssi is about the same as with the Dual-Band, around -86. It used to be about -70 before the freq change. It now seems the new beam of 164 may not be firing towards the US as well as before frequency change. Right now Iā€™m on 12.1028 instead of 12.1032 GHz. Seems OK. Too many variables again: Freq, Beam, Rssi, maybe antenna alignment, TP RF power out from SES, who knows. Hope your setup gets better soon.

Jerry is fiddling with my tuner now. I tried 12.1028 on both my Maverick and Dual Band LNBs without success. I tend to agree there is something wrong with the satellite beams based on the spotty reception in NA.

Even my portable DC 3.03 with SK 5.7 on a Maverick gave me zilch. More to follow :rofl: :rofl: Ken

i blindly put in 12.1028 beam 164 hit Apply and restarted, then hand-held my 46cm dish in the right general direction behind a single wooden outdoor wall and noted Lock and good SNR indications on the DC3.03 screen. Maverick LNBF. More data soon.

Wonder why 12.1032 doesnā€™t work many times, but lower freq does much better.

The frequency coming down from the satellite is pretty much exactly what we pay for. So 12.1032 GHz (or 12,1032 MHz) is what the receiver needs to tune into.

The demodulator (Semtech SX1281) can only track a signal that is up to 25% away from the stated frequency. If the LNB is introducing 400 kHz of offset, that is already 50% of the carrierā€™s bandwidth. Although 12,1032.00 MHz is entered into the Custom tab, the LNB may actually be sending the Dreamcatcher 12,1032.4 MHz, which is outside of reception range of the SX1281. The LNB is slightly changing the frequency of the satelliteā€™s original carrier. Decreasing the frequency value in the Custom tab by 400 kHz lines up the LNBā€™s offset so that the demodulator sees the modulated carrier within its reception range.

1 Like

It would be better using the Othernet Dual Band LNB over the Maverick LNB. Ken

12.1028 was 100 kHz low. hereā€™s where i am tuned now with the dish indoors:

So, we should tweak frequency in the downward direction not lower than 12102.9 MHz if it seems necessary to get lock and good packets.
And use the the Dual-Band LNBF instead of Maverick. Got it.

Donā€™t be surprised - - Iā€™ve worked for months, and now I have no data downloads. Ken in Annapolis, MD

Just did the frequency change this morning, followed the advice above and had no problems. Rssi -64, SNR 8.5. The same as I was getting on the old frequency, using a repurposed Dish Network dish.

Interesting - - I have two questions: First, are all the Semtech SX1281demodulators used in your various production runs the same? Perhaps one group might be more or less sensitive to offset? Second, are there any LNBs out that produce less of an offset than the Maverick and Othernet Dual LNBs? Perhaps some of us having difficulty getting Lock can use one of them. Ken

Well, ICs are definitely snowflakes; not every single unit will behave identically to another (so I have been told by IC designers). But at minimum they should all meet the 25% offset limit, as specified in the Semtech documentation. Itā€™s definitely possible that some chips vastly outperform what is specified.

There are some LNBs that have very little drift, but they are not high-volume products and are therefore quite expensive. Some LNBs with TCXOs (better stability source than an XTAL) are meant for VSATs and cost a few hundred dollars. Iā€™m not sure there are any consumer-oriented (low-cost) LNBs with a TCXO.

We do have an LNB that will go on sale next week, but itā€™s meant for amateur radio operators who are working QO-100 amateur satellite transponder. Itā€™s priced at EUR 49.

We will send measured LNBs to those who canā€™t receive at all with their existing LNB.

Iā€™m sending my DC 3.05, Maverick, and Othernet Dual Band LNB to Jerry in Utah this week for him to try on his system to see how it performs.

I changed out my LNB today and am using my Quad Polar Invacom QPH-031 now.

No change in performance thou. Good Rssi level for my run and SNRs are all looking good, but no Lock and very few valid packets. Iā€™ll let you know what Jerry finds. Ken

PS Iā€™m running now on a Dreamcatcher v3.03. Ken