Outernet 3.0: 30kbps now, 100kbps eventually - even smaller antenna

ah okay thanks for the information, i was reading on the german wikipedia an there was not even one word about the NA and EU difference i think.

I know that you are from the US of course :slight_smile: but i was thinking that there was finally a standard that was world wideā€¦so i thought.

good luck with the LNB, but i donā€™t think that you will get much without a dish on other sats / signals.

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

@Manuel,
I will have to take some time to read the German Wikipedia article - Rauscharmer Signalumsetzer (LNB) :wink: I might learn something.

Ich werde den deutschen Artikel lesen :wink:

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

will the kit with the outernet 3 be shipped with a correct LNB? or will that be something separate to buy?(Corrected wrong spelling of attenna. Thanks @Tysonpower)

1 Like

I think you mean LNB :slight_smile:

I would appriciate both options, LNBs over here are very Cheap, so that would not be a Problem at all for Europe customers. In the US they seem to be a little bit more expensive, but not that much.

regards,
Manuel

I will read the english article when i get some time to do so :slight_smile:

I also asked a few friends and no one knows that there is another LNB type in the US / NA. Very interestingā€¦

regards,
Manuel

PS: Viel spaƟ beim Lesen.

1 Like

The French Wikipedia article TĆŖte universelle (Fr. universal head) also mentions the US LNBs.

The Spanish Wikipedia article Conversor de reducciĆ³n de ruido (Sp. Converter with reduced noise) seems to talk about the European Astra type and does not mention what is being used in the US.

I really canā€™t read Russian very well at all, but I can look at the pictures and get an idea of what they are talking aboutā€¦[Š”ŠæутŠ½ŠøŠŗŠ¾Š²Ń‹Š¹ ŠŗŠ¾Š½Š²ŠµŃ€Ń‚ŠµŃ€] (Š”ŠæутŠ½ŠøŠŗŠ¾Š²Ń‹Š¹ ŠŗŠ¾Š½Š²ŠµŃ€Ń‚ŠµŃ€ ā€” Š’ŠøŠŗŠøŠæŠµŠ“Šøя) They have C and Ku band. It seems that the Ku band LNBs come in a variety of local oscillator and Ku frequency coverages. Further down in the article, they so show a Astra - universal type which does have the high/low band capabilities.

I canā€™t read Portugueseā€¦ but itā€™s close to Spanish. Their article is very short LNB It does not discuss the standards in Portugal or Brazil.

And Italian is also similar to Spanish. I canā€™t read it either. Hereā€™s their article: Low noise block converter

Itā€™s interesting what you can glean from Wikipedia articles in other languages and understand other cultures :wink:

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

ebay has an lnb called KSC321S-2 price us $12.75
Universal Single Ku Band LNBF 0.2dB FTA Satellite Dish Liner+LNB Bracket Holder

with the following cautionā€”

Note: Make Sure to buy right fit LNBā€™s frequently (Standard or Universal)

they are cover different frequently.

I think they typo/spellchecked the word frequently when it meant frequency
Butā€¦ which should I look for

same ebay vendor has a standard for $21.75
NEW Dual Twin Double Standard Ku Band FTA LNBF 0.2dB & LNB Bracket Holder
listing Input Frequency Range 11.7 - 12.75 GHz (versus as the 10.7-12.75 ā€œuniversalā€ above)

1 Like

I bought this one from E-Bay:
KU Band LNB Single 0.1dB Universal Linear 1 HD Ready Digital Satellite LNBF

Note that G28 is in their list.

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

Single Standard Liner Ku Band FTA Satellite Dish LNB LNBF 0.2dB HDTV

Notice that the tuning range of the standard LNBs seems to be 11.7 - 12.5 GHz and it uses a single LO
at 10.75 GHz instead of two LOs.

@Syed does the DC3 design depend on Standard or Universal LNBā€™s?

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

I think when you are receiving such a comparatively narrow-band signal (compared to satellite TV) is is better not to use a standard LNB but instead go for a PLL-locked one. This will have better LO stability and less phase noise. They were very expensive in the past, but our Chinese friends have made them very affordable.

The best ā€œvery special modulation methodā€ to use for this purpose is probably just DVB-S2.
It allows a very wide selection of transmission parameters and there are off-the-shelf demodulation solutions available for a very low price. Ready assembled boxes may not perform optimally at such a small bandwidth but a special design certainly should, and it can still use the standard parts.

Integrated LNB/demodulator solutions for DVB-S2 are available off-the-shelf, but still quite expensive and probably not optimal for small bandwidth (SCPC) situations like Outernet.

1 Like

@pe1chl We strongly suggest PLL LNB. The frequency offset for our carrier is something to keep an eye on. Our Chinese friends do some incredible work!

@Konrad_Roeder We are sticking to 11.7 - 12.75 GHz, so the FSS high band. So Standard LNB. In all likelihood, weā€™ll always end up around 11.7 - 12.2 GHz, but our own antenna will have 1 GHz of bandwidth.

@tylerhoot We will offer a verified LNB, though many different brands should work, as they likely all use the same chip. Our LNB will be optional, unless we can figure out some way to reduce costs on Dreamcatcher.

1 Like

Amazon us has a PLL lbnf

I think this matches what the group has talking about?

1 Like

Iā€™m curious. Whatā€™s the reason for this. Supporting Ethernet seems so much simpler then supporting WiFi. There are so many good WiFi solutions out there that one could use where it is needed.
And the argument WiFi saves the user having to run a cable doesnā€™t really work for a device that needs a power cable anyway. Also there are so many regulatory hurdles with WiFi across the globe. Why would you want to deal with all of those issues?

For me personally it would probably mean having a WiFi receiver next to the Dreamcatcher 3 to connect it to my Ethernet network. So a WiFi network for two devices standing next to each other.

Yes, I think so. The specs definitely match everything that @Syed mentioned. I found the same one on E-Bay with free shipping.

While I am waiting for the new DC v3ā€¦ I ordered one the above mk1, to play with
using a rtl-sdr,

But I think I will need a ā€œcoaxialā€ power injector for either the 12v or 19v H / V,
and maybe a 900 mhz-2500mhz booster lna? So far all Iā€™ve found is
21 v injectors designed for SWM direct-tvā€¦ maybe they will workā€¦ but they introduce
around 0.6db loss plus the additional connectors and coax jumpers.

[quote=ā€œac8dg, post:96, topic:4395ā€]
While I am waiting for the new DC v3ā€¦ I ordered one the above mk1, to play with
using a rtl-sdr,[/quote]
I ordered a Maverick Mk1 to play with as well.

The LNB can run just fine with a home-made bias tee. I have a Mini Circuits 15542 that is good up to 4GHz. It has SMA connectors on both sides. I will make one with SMA for the RF side and F on the RF+DC side. I have a 0-30v lab supply that I will use to supply the bias voltage to run the LNB.

On those frequencies, even a coax connector will offer 0.5db loss.

The LNB has around 60db of low-noise gain. You wonā€™t need another LNA at all to run it with a SDRx or possibly even a household RTL-SDR to go on a Ku Band signal hunt.

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

Amazon has this bundle and I ordered it.

Google Maverick LNBF MK-1 and you should see bundle near bottom

1 Like

Fun to see the algorithms at amazon workā€¦ I bought these, then the next hour amazon bundles a frequently bought together. I like itā€¦ hope my ā€˜bundleā€™ actually work togetherā€¦ no guarantees.

1 Like

Just more toys for the Season with no instructions! :confused: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What are the differences in Dreamcatcher 3v01?