Outernet 3.0: 30kbps now, 100kbps eventually - even smaller antenna

Still learning 3D printing. May I ask would you use a customizable model from Thingiverse or another outfit, or design the case on your own. Haven’t tried my own project yet, just already made ones. Excuse me, I guess I’m going a bit off course. :slight_smile:
Back on in a few.

1 Like

It will need 5V / 1.5A.

One of the previous post, I thought, that the lnb would need higher voltage then the the 3.3v bias tee, Something in the 12v range… given that… I am looking at POE as my “power feed”, but I am new at that…

I saw most are injecting 48dc … either + or - … which is just a relative thing… could the new v3 “complete system” be powered and communicated with via a simple cat6e with POE?

The LNB does require higher voltage, but DC3 provides it. DC3 only requires 5V.

1 Like

I found that DreamCatcher does not run well unless it has a 2.1Amp or better USB wall-wart. If you don’t supply the board with enough current, it craps out the second the Wi-Fi chip turns on.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

sorry Syed, sarcasm comes cheaply, given the individual circumstances, but doesn’t change things… apologies for that. I’ll be patiently waiting for the re-instatement of the APAC service as I’m not ready going cruising for another 9-12 months.
Thanx
lm

1 Like

Some of this may be obvious. Forgive me. I’m trying to make it simple.

A bias tee is power over coax. It can provide 3-5 volts DC to an LNA, or 12.5-14.5v DC to the LNB while RF from the LNB comes back down the coax. Some LNBs can switch polarities based on the supply voltage. Those The bias tee prevents DC from going into the RF circuitry and RF from going into the power supply.

POE is power over Ethernet. There are several proprietary versions and two standardized ones - 802.11af and 802.11at. They use the four unused wires on the CAT5/6 cable to supply power and ground to the device at the other end. The proprietary versions are basically 24 and 48 volts. The IEEE standard ones involve automatic detection and switching, etc. Ethernet is good to 328 feet and the PoE can deliver power to a remote device over that distance as long as the device is not too power hungry.

From what @Syed has been saying, the DC3.0 becomes a terminal with a display. So, I think where this is going is bias tee (power over coax) versus PoE (power over Ethernet). We’ll see how things unfold.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

DC-3 … can’t wait!

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Correct. There will be no PoE.

1 Like

will there be a ethernet port for the webui? also thank you for the power info i am trying to prep and make a ups for it. also any chance this version of dreamcatcher will be on a mainline ver of armbian?

1 Like

No, no ethernet port.

Used to work on them at Douglas A/C in Santa Monica a long time ago.

I will design a case from the ground up :slight_smile:
I already made cases for the DC 2.x and the SDRx + CHIP in the past that are available on Thingiverse.

@Konrad_Roeder Bias Tee is the best solution to power the LNB. You can use the same cable for power as you use for the signal. You can’t supply the LNB over Ethernet, so it doesen’t really make’s sense to me. The only Option would be adding a lan port with POE to power the DC remotly, what doesen’t makes sense with the Display on it.

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

I like the ‘slide in’ feature of this design:

So we can start to buy a powersupply :+1:

1 Like

Maybe my post [quote=“Tysonpower, post:67, topic:4395”] A bias tee is power over coax…
POE is power over Ethernet… [/quote] was not clear enough.

[quote=“Tysonpower, post:74, topic:4395”]
@Konrad_Roeder Bias Tee is the best solution to power the LNB. You can use the same cable for power as you use for the signal.[/quote]
I’m glad you agree with me. That is exactly what a bias tee does – power over coax.

Well, you don’t have to have a set top receiver. The receiver could be up on your mast, right next to your LNB (yes, also powered by a bias tee arrangement). But you could power that receiver via power over Ethernet.

Since @Syed said that there would be a display and user interface at the receiver, this option is not a possibility.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

Looks good. Great of you to contribute! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Syed,
New question. I’m learning as well.

@Tysonpower said…
Even the converted frequency that comes out of th LNB (900-2150mhz) is partially out of range of the RTL-SDR.

Will I need an extended range LNB (Astra-type), or will a generic, plain vanilla one do? The Generic ones don’t have nearly this much IF bandwidth.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

The beam/signal itself will not be that wide (in comparison to a tv signal), other wise the datarate would be higher and the signal way to weak.
So any LNB that can be used for digital sat tv should work i think.
If you mean the 900-2150mhz frequency with if bandwidth: Any LNB i have seen uses that spectrum, also see wikipedia.

I would use a universal LNB as you can find on ebay, because it will cover everything.that ahs to. After a quick ebay search i found one for around 5€ new on ebay germany :slight_smile:

regards,
Manuel

Manuel,
As a matter of fact, I was reading the Wikipedia article on LNBs.

It appears that the European LNBs cover a wider tuning range than the ones in North America.

NA Standard LNB:
Ku Band Frequency Receiver IF Frequency
11.70–12.20 GHz 950–1,450 MHz

Astra LNB:
Ku Band Frequence Receiver IF Frequency
10.70–11.70 GHz → low 950–1,950 MHz
11.70–12.75 GHz → high 1,100–2,150 MHz

I have a German name, but I’m in North America, not Europe, BTW.
I “pulled the trigger” and bought the following from E-Bay:
KU Band LNB Single 0.1dB Universal Linear 1 HD Ready Digital Satellite LNBF

I hope this will work for DC3.0 … I at the moment will “surf” the satellites looking at the satellites with
a laptop, SDR software, a high performance SDR, a bias tee and this raw LNB

–Konrad, WA4OSH