Reception variances with DYI kit in day/night

Been using the DYI kit with a Raspberry Pi 3 and the latest RxOS 3.1 image and included patch antenna for a bit over
a week. Mounted it all onto a board with legs.

It seems during the day I can get at least 3-4 dB for SNR and things work ok, shortly after dark, with no changes in the weather, not moving the whole rig at all, the SNR drops into an average of 1-2 Db and struggles to download anything.

Any ideas on what’s causing this and what I can do to help? I wondered if a bigger antenna would help, I do have a clear line of site. Location is Peoria, IL btw.

New to all this so I’m learning as I go…

Thanks!

I had an issue with 120v LED light bulbs that were creating obscene amounts of RF interference at night. Maybe something similar is happening in your case. Use SDR# to check for external RFI sources.

Thanks for the response, I’ve seen SDR# mentioned in the forums so I’m guessing I can do some googling and get a download link with some beginner instructions…

Will do that and report back what I see…

Thanks again for the help.

3-4dB SNR? Wow. That’s low. With the antenna plonked on my window ledge I’m getting a reliable 10dB+.

I have noted that when the antenna is illuminated by the sun at around 1300 local my SNR drops to around 8DB for about 45 minutes or so. I put that down to sun noise.

I would suggest that you better align your antenna during the day.