Build your own Outernet Receiver (ORx) - pre-alpha install scripts

This method of building a receiver is obsolete. Please refer to this post:

http://discuss.outernet.is/t/new-orx-image-for-raspberry-pi/1304

I’ve just finished the first round of development for ORx install scripts. You can find the install scripts on GitHub.

EDIT: Instructions found in our GitHub repository are in pre-alpha stage. They are subject to change, and may not be complete and/or accurate. Please post your feedback below or report bugs. Also, if you wish to write your own instructions, I ask you to link to either this forum post or GitHub repository so people can get up to date information in case we change something.

How the receiver works

The receiver is a device that downloads content from the satellite broadcast and runs a web server that allows you to access and manage the content. The device can be connected to your home network, or serve as a Wi-Fi access point if you set it up as one. Either way, accessing the device’s IP address using a normal web browser brings up the interface for accessing and managing the content, called Librarian.

What you need

Here’s a list of ingredients you will need:

• Satellite dish (60cm or larger)
  • LNB (must support Ku band)
  • USB satellite tuner (DVB-S)
  • Raspberry Pi (model B or B+ recommended, but Known issues below if using B+ with PCTV 461e)
  • Internet connection
  • HDMI cable for display connection (or HDMI-DVI, HDMI-VGA and similar convertors/adaptors)
  • USB keyboard
  • Micro USB cable or AC power adaptor for Raspberry Pi
  • SD card (4GB or more should be fine)
  • (optional) Wi-Fi dongle (see below for supported devices)

Tuners known to work are PCTV 460e and 461e, and Geniatech HDStar TV box. Sundtek SkyTV Ultimate should also work. In theory, any tuner that has support in Linux kernel should work as long as it has standard DVB interface. Note that PCTV 461e requires a newer kernel, so Arch Linux ARM build is recommended.

Wi-Fi dongles that is currently tested are TP-Link TL-WN722N (other Atheros-based dongles may also work) and Edimax EW-7811Un 150M (other Realtek-based dongles, possibly). Support for Ralink RT5370 is planned in near future. Setting up Wi-Fi hotspot using Wi-Fi dongles is not Outernet-specific, so you can probably manage to do this manually or by modifying the hotspot script.

I recommend using Edimax if you care about the size, because it’s tiny. The TP-Link sports a detachable antenna so you can replace it with a higher-gain one for better range.

You can find more information and instructions in the GitHub repository.

What it looks like

Known issues

PCTV 461e not appearing in TVHeadend on Raspberry Pi model B+

Raspberry Pi B+ may have issues with powering the PCTV 461e via its USB hub. Using an externally powered (self-powered) USB hub seems to solve this. You can detect whether you have this particular issue by looking at your system log and checking whether it contains the following item:

usb 1-1-port2: over-current change

You can do this by unplugging the tuner, then plug it back in, and then run the following command on your Raspberry Pi:

dmesg | tail | grep "over-current change"

If this returns a line similar to the example above, it means you probably need a powered USB hub. This has nothing to do with the PCTV’s own external power adaptor which powers the LNB.

Geniatech HDStar gen3 does not work on Raspberry Pi

Please be careful. Get gen2 if possible. I’m looking into how you can tell the difference.

Edimax dongle may cause hotspot configuration to deactivate wired Internet

The cause is still undetermined.

4 Likes

WOW
Branko i just surfed though Github instructions and and it was hard for me to understand these instructions but i think i got the basic point but still i think that no regular Citizen will go though all of that this is just hard for unexperienced individuals so no one will try it out i think except of Outernet employes themselves but anyway this is just Trying out if and only if Outernet goes into mass production i know it wont b that hard to get the Outernet service but as to this Tryout i think no one is going to do it succesfully
unfortunately either for lack of knowledge or lack of Equipments , which in my case i havnt found the Rasberry device in my Area nor the DVB but i can order from amazon but it wont get here until a full month
but never the less i will try to figure it out , thnx for providing the BASIC info.:slight_smile:

1 Like

@psfourfreak, Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you 100%. It is hard, and it’s not for the ordinary citizens. Internally, we’ve sort of decided to provide this service to technically oriented people first to get some feedback before rolling out to general public. Sort of confirm that it actually works and all that.

I’m trying to work out how to provide a build based on virtual machine that would work on a regular PC as well. We might not be able to make that happen before Aug 11. Don’t ask, it’s complicated.

2 Likes

@branko
Oh ya I see now , just from a technician point of view , but you kinda of raised hopes with that poll LOL^_^.

Virtual Machine that work on PC by August 11 , WoW i didnt know you were Trying to Provide one Until January 2015 , Wish all the BEST For You Guys .

Not sure where you got that date. We have no definitive plan for VirtualBox build right now. Just my wish to make it available as soon as possible. :smile:

1 Like

@branko @syed the onion pi is 100% compatiple it ORx i’m tested and working, ORx work in onion pi than work in raspberry pi…you are lie to me…:-(???
https://discuss.outernet.is/t/onion-pi-in-cubesat-outernet/519

1 Like

Just a thought, I have a Dreambox 500, its a Linux based DBS Satellite receiver, it has a built in Ethernet port, could it be modified to work with Outernet?

Just a thought, I have a Dreambox 500, its a Linux based DBS Satellite receiver, it has a built in Ethernet port, could it be modified to work with Outernet?

@mcasdorph the onion pi is 100% compatiple it ORx i’m tested and working, ORx work in onion pi than work in raspberry pi
https://discuss.outernet.is/t/onion-pi-in-cubesat-outernet/519
https://discuss.outernet.is/t/outernet-receiver-on-onion-pi/574/1

Right now the stream-to-file software is compatible only with ARM-processors. But we’re working to change that. We definitely want to support as many devices as possible.

2 Likes

would you consider doing a youtube or dailymotion tutorial video?

@ThaneRichard We’ve been asked to do a tutorial video for the entire setup. How about we calendar that for next week?

1 Like

If things go well tonight we’ll post a recording of the setup shortly.

1 Like

I have a question. I live in the states and was wondering what type of dish i should get. I was thinking of something like this. It has the KU band but I’m not sure if i should get anything else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-Portable-Satellite-Dish-Tripod-Kit-for-RV-Tailgating-Camping-/271391467673

Do you think the above would be sufficient? I’ve already ordered the USB PCTV 461e and I already have a Raspberry Pi. I think this would be a great project for my son and I.

You should instead get equipment for DVB-S reception. The best store I have found is

Ideally, we would be selling this equipment directly, but we don’t have the manpower for it just yet. Soonish, though. You really only need a 60cm satellite dish and Ku-band LNB that is meant for DVB-S reception. Let me know if you have any problems finding these parts.

Thank you. Will the description tell me if it’s DVB-S and is any one better than the other, directv vs DISH vs generic?

alucard, I got my 1m Ku-band dish, LNB and coax from sadoun.com. My receiver I got from amazon.com.

I have yet to receive my USB DVB-S receiver, but the feedback on amazon says it works with Outernet. If it doesn’t, I’ll have a “backup” receiver for watching FTA satellite TV while my ORx is doing its thing once I order one of the receivers listed above. (My main FTA viewing receiver is a GeoSatPro MicroHD, also from Amazon.)

hi,
Would you be able to paste a link the satellite and lnb’s you got? i finally received the USB DVB-S Tuner and wanted to order the sat and lnb. Also, did you mount on the side of your house or on a pole in the yard?

Many thanks,

I have another question. branko, are you in the States? I ask only because if you are, how did you convert the power plug for the PCTV device to 120volts?

I’m not Branko, but I’ll try to answer this for you!

The PCTV USB stick comes with a 5 volt DC switching power supply. While the plug will probably be European (220v), the black DC adapter will display its compatible voltages and probably be 120/220v compatible or something like 100v to 240v.

Personally, I plan on using a separate 5 volt supply that will power both my Raspberry Pi and the PCTV stick.

I will be trying this out on a folding portable satellite dish (http://r.ebay.com/a4ru41) that should arrive any day now and I picked up this LNB (http://amzn.com/B00AWHGYVK) off of Amazon.com since it has a longer neck for focusing.