Skylark 4.4 images for Dreamcatcher

Skylark 4.4 images for Dreamcatcher board (V2.03) are up on archive:

https://archive.outernet.is/images/Dreamcatcher%20Skylark/

There are two images, one for passive antenna systems (the metal one) and the other for the active antenna:

Please use the correct one for your setup. Make sure you read the Readme completely.

Rest of the usage is standard skylark, you can find that manual here:
https://docs.outernet.is/DIY%20Kit%20User%20Manual.html

6 Likes

Getting a 403 Forbidden on the gz files.

try now.

Good to go, thanks!

woohoooo… now everyone can start testing…

2 Likes

woohoo!

1 Like

@Syed Where do we post bugs or see a list of known issues?

1 Like

This is great. First question… How do I gracefully shutdown the dreamcatcher. I tried the short press of the power button (that worked with an Ambian image), But I don’t want to corrupt my sd.

i do a Long Press 5 sec maybe and it shuts down…
or if in the term. you can use
sudo poweroff

Got it … long press to shutdown… Second question… trying direct serial… windows now sees unknown “CDC Composite Gadget”. I thought I had solved it… with a driver… but somehow windows sees a different device with Skylark OS? Anyone have a link to a better driver?

update the driver to microsoft usb- to serial i belive

I installed the driver from here

1 Like

thanks @thexder

Is there going to be a sudo apt-get install version of Dreamcatcher for other Armbian Arm compatible boards.

I don’t quite follow the question.

It appears to me that Dreamcatcher for Armbian is available as a image file.

Will it also be available to other Armbian users as a application that can be installed on their Armbian Linux board by simply using the Apt-get install command. Like you did with the other programs that can be installed on Dreamcatcher Armbian

Basically I am asking are you going to have a compiled version of Dreamcatcher for other Armbian compatible boards.

Or is Dreamcattcher Armbian Image only for the Outernet Dreamcatcher Board?

Dreamcatcher is the name of the board. We have two different operating systems available for it:

one being Armbian, which is just a debian derivative, and allows you to use the board as a general purpose computer with an integrated rtl-sdr and gpios and leds, etc. We have also made available some tutorials for receiving various signals using the dreamcatcher hardware and armbian OS. These tutorials are (mostly) also compatible with other armbian boards that have a rtl-sdr attached.

The other is Skylark - this is a integrated linux-based OS which is specially developed to receive the Outernet Satellite Filecast service. The advantages of Skylark is one doesn’t need to be a linux user to use it, and it can be managed over the Skylark UI. It is also a lot more sturdy, and generally less vulnerable to sdcard corruption or user error. It can also be updated OTA via the outernet service itself. On the flip side, its a special-purpose OS and is tied down to enhance security and reliability. Skylark is only available for our Dreamcatcher board. It will not be available on non-Outernet boards.

What is going to happen to all of the Outernet customers who purchased CHIP based Outernet receivers.

Will we also get updates etc in the future.

Will there be a special upgrade promotion to bring us up to Dreamcatcher.

Whats wrong with Open sourcing Dreamcatcher and letting other users compile it for other Arm based boards. It would massively increase the number of Outernet users.

1 Like

Using Skylark is working great. I changed the network setting to ‘connect to a wifi router’ – that’s great… but if my wifi goes down… Is there a command line (usb or uart terminal command) based instructions to revert it back to the original ‘create a hotspot’ as an access point? My only known restore method would be to re-image the OS.