Skylark 5.4 for Dreamcatcher 3

Interim Solution to Shut Downs

While the engineers at Othernet work to fix the problem of unexpected shut downs, I have implemented a solution (not the best, but workable). I put an ac timer on my USB power cube to turn it off and on every 12 hours. The effect is a forced reboot. If the first doesn’t do the trick, the second is sure to cure.

Hope this helps someone. Ken

Yes that works for people who are using a standard wall brick they could also use one of those digital light timers so they can have it be shut off like for one min per 12 hrs then the lockups could be prevented but also what if we could edit a Cron job in the Skylark os to reboot it self but that wouldn’t work if it locked up but also there is many other options I’ll have to update this post when I think of more.

I was thinking about this more how many people use the second SD card slot that are experiencing the freezing?

That’s a good point. I’m going to remove my second micro SD card and see how things work. I’ll post results in a day or so. Ken

My DC kicked out of wifi at 9:00 PM EST. I have had a second MicroSD card in use, although it had very little content recorded. I removed it and re-booted aat 9:15 EST.

see the answer to my question…

No News

I ave not seen any news posts since 7 Dec. Wikipedia, audio, APRS, and weather seem fine. Ken

1 Like

10:15 EST, latest Weather is dated 12-6, latest News is 12-7. What’s new not responding. Messages not responding. Audio is working.

10:25 ReBoot: Same results.

Same content here, but my weather is from November. I was also having a problem in 5.3; the onboard LCD screen controls and Status tab in the Tuner app (in a browser) would randomly freeze and I had to reboot to regain access. I’m also using an empty SD card in the data slot (32 gb), which I will remove today.

Update: Removed SD card, now gribs2 files updating to yesterday

when i removed my second sd card my lockups have stopped so far for the past few days i just have a audio stream issue but i think that’s just my own goof up there i have to do some more testing with that.

It appears the gribs2 files of yesterday were downloaded, but not installed. My weather hasn’t changed, and is not updated when compared to http://c64monkey.com:8080/

All I get is this repeating
Dec 9 19:08:28 othernet user.notice root: Discovered /mnt/downloads/opaks/d41d-oscar_oscar_vel9558.tbz2, extracting…
Dec 9 19:08:31 othernet user.info ondd[462]: [carousel] completed: opaks/d41d-oscar_oscar_vel9558.tbz2

process atd keeps seeing ‘stale lockfiles’

edit: update: got it receiving again… had to change to custom frequency 11901.83

nope: that didn’t work… tried ‘configuration reset’, that didn’t work. now trying ‘factory reset’

after a factory reset… now getting news packs. started at
news-pack.2018-12-07_1643.tbz2
_1743
_1843
_1943

hopefully it get closer to dec 09 sometime

6:30 PM EST found DC with packet lights hung, no wifi connection. Re-Booted.

Same here - - total shut down, Needs a rebooitng. Ken

Everything updated last night, I have today/s news and weather downloaded now. So far no lockups.

UPDATE: Spoke too soon, downloads halted at 0730 PT, after 22:30 hrs uptime.

No joy - - with the extra memory card removed and no adjustment to the Alsmixwr amplitude, I still get locks ups and loss of network connectivity every few hours. It takes at least 2 reboots to come back up on my network after each lock up. Skylark does show a network connection, but is not being assigned an IP address by my router. The Dreamcatcher board is not hot after each event - - just warm as it has always been. Hope this information helps, Ken

12-10-2018 11:30 AM EST found the DC with packet lights hung, wifi disconnected.
11:35 AM EST Re-booted.
11:50, logged in and found the unit downloading currently dated (12-10-2018) items, including news and APRS.
I have not seen any difference in operation since removing the second SDHC card. Will return it to its position next re-boot.
12:03 PM EST trying to read news, packets locked up and wifi stopped.
12:10 PM EST Re-boot. DC booted without wifi address
12:14 PM EST Re-booted using LCD to boot in station mode. DC came on with wifi address this time.
12:20 PM EST Logged back in to try to read news.

Any update on this news @Syed?

mine made it three days… froze at
Dec 13 11:46:56 othernet user.warn kernel: [269102.669223] spi_master spi32764: spi32764.0: timeout transferring 64 bytes@10000000Hz for 110(100)ms
Dec 13 11:46:56 othernet user.err kernel: [269102.678628] spidev spi32764.0: SPI transfer failed: -110
Dec 13 11:46:56 othernet user.err kernel: [269102.684109] spi_master spi32764: failed to transfer one message from queue

nothing … since 12:00 utc dec 13

10:40 AM EST 12-13-2018 found DC hung. Packet lights glowing but not twittering, no heartbeat, no wifi connection. Last item on What’s New showed date and time of 12:46 AM MST 12-13-2018.
10:47 AM EST 12-13-2018 Re-booted DC. Opened Tuner, What’s New, and About Skylark. Audio is working. Latest news is dated 12-12-2018, What’s New not displaying.
2:15 PM EST 12-13-2018 found DC hung, packet lights on, not twittering. Wifi disconnected. Shut down DC unit. Not useful at this time.

I’ve got my Dreamcatcher plugged into a USB cube running off an ac timer. It resets 2 times between 2 and 4 am EDT. Then port forwarded to the internet for me to watch while away from home.

Unfortunately, my DC doesn’t always reboot (even thou I do 2 reboots in a 2 hour series). If unsuccessful, I have to wait another day hoping for a successful reboot.

Same problem several of us have been having - - same problem Syed is aware of and working on. Ken