Skylark 4.4 images for Dreamcatcher

Yep. You might also notice that API calls (using the apps via the web interface) affect the red flock light as well. Not looking at it right now, but fast flicker is trying to get lock, solid is lock, then one flash per API call if I remember right.

its all in the readme:

https://archive.outernet.is/images/Dreamcatcher%20Skylark/Readme.txt

Have you had any more luck with writing the image?

Yes but I didn’t see what the settings should have been so I did random things. DO you use overwrite or erase? Do you use size correction or not?

Thanks.
It is working and I do appreciate you asking.

On Windows I use WinDisk32. On Linux I just use the dd command. Before burning the image, I format the card, unless it’s a new card.

I do not use the size correction.

Hi Syed I have just recently started using Etcher. Its a truly amazing Open Source micro SD card writer.

OK thanks! Will overwrite OR erase work? Thanks!

How do I assign storage to the other SDcard slot? My OS is on a humongous card (is that where the data is stored by default coming from outernet?) but I also have a large one on the storage slot. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Good Guy Ken,

Kinda gave up lately with so many directions Outernet has been heading. Took down all my stuff, but could be ready to receive again. Your enthusiasm hardly ever slows. So maybe Dreamcatcher is the right direction for a good while? I think I see your thumbs up. So I order? Never have received the infamous CHIP. Thumbs down!

Don

Don’t forget, Don, to follow an micro SD chip clean up procedure like I posed above or Seasalt used.

Seems like many recent problems getting Syklark loaded on a micro SD have originated in a not so clean SD chip. Ken

@donde That unreceived CHIP was ordered through NTC–is that correct?

The second SD card acts as a backup of content. There isn’t anything that needs to be done. @Abhishek can explain exactly how it works. And once he does, I’ll add it to an FAQ thread.

Thanks for the info and promptness Syed!!

I experienced a ‘high pitch squeal’ on the DC and never a signal lock as noted by @davidsaintruby. It was near the rtl or the lna, and made the DC inoperable. I had to reimage the sd twice to get it to attempt a satellite. I detected the signal for about 5 seconds before resuming the squeal and never locked in the signal. Two more attempts with new sd images and swaping antennas and power supplies, logging on via the otg and pushing the reset buttton (no effect). I let it sit there for fifteen minutes and tried again. this time it starting operating.

Now I am worried if there is some oscillation / feedback / instability. Is there some tcxo that need so warmup ?

Where do you live?

Well that makes 2 Michiganders on the forum.

‘high pitch squeal’ is many time happens due to overload / mistake at the power management part, which has many switching mode regulators. Those normal work out of the human ear recognizable sounds spectrum but when some problem happens the inductors makes noticeably noise.

What you can try is to measure the input voltage (to check your own 5V mains adapter as well, it’s very important, JP1 has the input usb voltage potential) also the output 5V and 3.3V it’s in the GPIO forest.

There is a big voltage regulator “U1” in the SDR section measuring it’s voltage it’s a good idea too (about 5V on input and 3.3V on it’s output)

@ac8dg Let me know if you are still having problems. Better yet, please submit a replacement request through hello@ so we can get you a working unit.

Thank you, it seems to be working, I think it was my usb-a to microusb cable that was cheaply made with undersized conductors, per @zoltan suggestion I in was investigating power source problems.

Second topic, I was glad to see the skylark seems to routinely purge old news stories (maybe 7 days), and old weather and amsat stuff (after 3days). This is a good thing, running on a 4g sd seems just fine. Thanks again

The second topic is the handy work of @Abhishek.